What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil door fit

Dorfie

Well Known Member
I want to "mould" the oil door into the cutout for the oil door in the top cowl. It fits pretty well but the gap around edges is too big and I would like the door to rest firmly in the cutout lip to minimize cooling air lost (RV10).
Can anyone tell me how to get an even gap (about 1/16" that will allow for paint) around the perimeter of the door.
The edge is just too thin for insulating tape to stick (what I was planning to use).
Planning on using clear packing tape on inside of oil door to prevent resin sticking.
If I use PVC, can that be removed later to make resin stick to the oil door at later stage? If yes, how?
Thanks.
Johan

There are multiple ways to get the result you're after - my approach was to fill the cowl opening so that the door was a perfect fit, then slightly reduce the door size by sanding to get the perfect gap. I started with this:

9729034474_53657840a5.jpg

...and ended with this:

9725808505_0e5859e687.jpg

More pictures on the entire process are on my flickr photo album.

You could . . .

I want to "mould" the oil door into the cutout for the oil door in the top cowl. It fits pretty well but the gap around edges is too big and I would like the door to rest firmly in the cutout lip to minimize cooling air lost (RV10).
Can anyone tell me how to get an even gap (about 1/16" that will allow for paint) around the perimeter of the door.
The edge is just too thin for insulating tape to stick (what I was planning to use).
Planning on using clear packing tape on inside of oil door to prevent resin sticking.
If I use PVC, can that be removed later to make resin stick to the oil door at later stage? If yes, how?
Thanks.
Johan

Just use some non stick tape, epoxy/fill the gap with the door in place and don't worry about the end point gap, it can be controlled by sanding of the door.

OK - Like ChiefPilot says - and he has pictures!!

There are multiple ways to get the result you're after - my approach was to fill the cowl opening so that the door was a perfect fit, then slightly reduce the door size by sanding to get the perfect gap. I started with this:

9729034474_53657840a5.jpg

...and ended with this:

9725808505_0e5859e687.jpg

More pictures on the entire process are on my flickr photo album.

I think this is the easiest and is the way I do it.
Though I use flox instead of micro so that the molded sharp edge is hard and durable. A little harder to sand but a small amount can be used and then do the blending with micro if needed.

Thank you

To all the responders, thank you. I now know what to do.
Brad, that oil door fit is really beautiful.
Johan

Back