What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PlastiFix / Polyvance ...Don't use to fill stop drill hole

Love2fly

I'm New Here
Patron
I have a very small crack that started in my canopy, I stop drilled it, used PlastiFix from Polyvance because it is one of two products recommended on a PDF from Vans.
My initial stop drill hole appeared very clean, but once filled PlastiFix:cool:, little splinters began to show, 2 splinters to be specific. I assumed a bad drill job on my part. I then stop drilled both the splinters, filled it with plastifix, and BAMM, more splinters.
I again assumed I did something wrong drilling?.so I then used a blow torch to heat a drill bit to red hot, and very gently drilled a larger hole to encompass all 3 holes into one?and it looked perfect and the heated bit made the process very smooth.

So, I now thought the key to no splinters in the plexi was to heat the bit, excited to finish my repair, I filled the hole again, and BAMM, new splinters. It?s at this point that I realized PlastiFix product must be expanding the expansion tension is causing the splinters given all the holes looked good to begin with, and the last hole was so gentle on the plexi due to the heat.

So, just FYI, the PlastiFix product looks good on the web, but unless you cut a V for expansion, your stop drill holes are going to require new and bigger holes.

Happy New Year!

Back