What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Function of fuel tank attach bolt

pa38112

Well Known Member
I am re-installing my fuel tank after a repair (RV6), and I am perplexed by the arrangement of the bolt that attached the tank to the fuselage - a bolt into a rivet nut over a slot ??? What is this bolt suppose to do ?

It's supposed to hold it tight enough to handle normal flight forces, but loose enough to let it break away in an impact instead of transferring impact forces to the fuselage.

Crashworthiness

The bolt supports the front end of the tank. It is my understanding that the slot used to be a hole (in earlier RV models) but was changed to a slot to allow the bolt to slide out during certain crash scenarios allowing the fuel tank a better chance at staying intact at the inboard rib.

Bevan

Tank Inboard Bracket

The tank bracket and bolt is designed to support vertical loads, either upward lifting load of the tank from aerodynamic lift at high angle of attack or downward loading during a hard landing with full tanks. The joint is designed to slip laterally in case of wing separation during a crash landing so that the root rib of the tank doesn't rupture.

Skylor

Back