What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9(A) #92148

Ebeswick

Hello All-

Being that I am relatively new to VAF and have recently started a RV-9 project, I thought it might be appropriate that I begin a thread to document my build progress. I purchased a partially completed emp. kit towards the end of last year, and I have since completed work on the H.S., V.S. and I am now in the final stages of completing the rudder and right elevator. I have found a wealth of information here, and I am extremely grateful for this site (Thanks Doug!). Progress will be relatively slow as I plan to complete the emp. kit, then take a bit of a building hiatus while I attend grad school.

Some pictures of the beginning stages:
15qvhah.jpg

15zip6s.jpg

2z7er2r.jpg

16irsid.jpg

That's all for now, but I look forward to the journey and posting updates as I go.

Hard to imagine there's a better way to spend Michigan winters than RV building in a warm shop. :D I lived up there for 23 delightful yrs and remember it well.

Nice shop!

Building the empennage is probably the most memorable moment. It's the beginning of a big journey and it's a very satisfying mission. You look at the finished tail and think I did it. I "almost" built an airplane. Your friends and neighbors become curious your relatives think you are crazy. Please keep posting your progress Ethan. And order your wings NOW! You won't have anything to do in couple months. :D

Good Times

Looking Good, Ethan! Vlad nailed it - The emp was fun and we all learned some great skills!

Kate%252520and%252520Meg%252520Rivet.JPG

Thirteen years ago the girls and I spent quality time in the garage. Megs is now out of college and working in Madison, and Kate heads off to college next summer......

1500 hours later we are still big fans of the -9A (90767), and all the great people we have met along the way! Enjoy the ride......

Congratulations

Congratulations Ethan
Enjoy. It's a life changing journey and there's no deadline.
When people ask, "When will you be done?", answer "Tuesday".

Nice job

Hi Ethan,
The workmanship looks great. Anytime you want to stop by just let me know. Hopefully the winter will continue to be mild for Michigan standards. Spring is just around the corner.

Gary

Haha! Just don't specify which Tuesday. :)

HAHAHAHA - - my airport manager says the same about me - I finally got a hangar in Dec,
- he says -when ?
- I say - late spring
- he says - -hmmm- which spring

note - I told him spring for the last two years! Apparently, I am an optimist :eek:

To the OP - building is a learning process, each project builds a skill needed in the next with progressive challenges. You might still finish before I do. It certainly is not just assembly.

Last edited:
Hi Ethan,
My name is Jeff and I am also working on a -7 emp. I live in Charlotte, Michigan. Where abouts are you in Michigan? Perhaps we could get together and help one another out.

Best of luck!
Jeff

Thank You

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and advice. The pro seal is drying on the rudder trailing edge now. I'll post pictures next week.

Jeff- I'm in West Michigan, but if I'm ever out your way I'd love to see your project.

Completed Rudder

Completed work on the rudder today. Overall I am very pleased with how everything turned out.

23r3628.jpg

2wqwzds.jpg

On to the elevators.

Blue skies,
Ethan

Completed Tail Kit

As of this afternoon I have completed my tail kit! After experiencing the excitement of reaching this small milestone I can only imagine what it will feel like to someday fly this thing! Here are a few pictures.

Right Elevator
352jhqt.jpg

Left Elevator and Trim Tab
1si34p.jpg

Ouch...
316pz6u.jpg

Unfortunately, the completion of my tail kit means it will be time to put aside the build as I attend grad school for the next couple of years. It has been an incredible learning experience thus far, and I eagerly await the day I can get to work on the wings.

Blue skies and tailwinds,
Ethan

Last edited:
Right on, Ethan! That's a good chunk of the plane done.

Sorry about your finger. Make sure you countersink the hole so the Band-Aid sits flush. :eek:

Back