VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-28-2018, 10:47 PM

Default RV7 Rudder

My RV flies fine except the ball is about 1/2 out of the cage. I have to fly with constant right rudder to keep it straight. Its not a big deal but on long flights my leg gets tired. My Husky has a trim tab to correct the problem and the RV does not. Whats the best way to deal with it ? I don't want to add a trim tab as it will look like ****.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:23 AM

Most RVs have a trim tab. Nobody is going to care except you. Some guys have added a trim system to the rudder cable (I don't know the details), others have made a moveable tab with a servo to move it. Do you happen to know Keith at Grass Valley? Maybe he can help. Good luck.
RV-4 Plans only S/N 2938
Cessna 152
Elk Grove, CA
VAF #744 Exempt but paid in Feb anyway
Old 05-29-2018, 05:33 AM

Default Gear Fairing Alignment is really sensitive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
My RV flies fine except the ball is about 1/2 out of the cage. I have to fly with constant right rudder to keep it straight. Its not a big deal but on long flights my leg gets tired. My Husky has a trim tab to correct the problem and the RV does not. Whats the best way to deal with it ? I don't want to add a trim tab as it will look like ****.
I am no expert, but now 18 hrs into Phase I and have been fiddling with the same. I jacked the plane and rechecked all the alignments, wheel pants, gear fairings. I tweaked the gear fairings maybe a 1/32" and the pants were within 1/16" One pant was rotated about it's axle 2 degrees (a lot). It did make a difference, a significant improvement, but still off a tick in cruise. 1/2 ball (G3X) would take two feet on the rudder to correct at 150 kts, so that is a lot.

Full disclosure, I also am progressing with a heavy wing correction, and moved 3 of 4 of the aileron hinges at the same time. I must have neutralized the changes as it still had about the same left heavy, so I don't think it had anything to do with the rudder issue.

In a dark hangar I might just tweak the gear fairings another 1/32" on the TE to avoid a rudder wedge.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Old 05-29-2018, 06:43 AM

The manufactured plastic trim tabs painted to match and installled with professional double faced tape is not bad looking.
Trim tabs are very common on RV's.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 05-29-2018, 06:59 AM

The hanger gremlins must of have visited my hanger in the past year. I've been flying my -7 for over 4 years now and the first 3 years I flew it, there was no need for rudder correction in cruise. Over the past year or so I can definitely see a need for about a 1/4 ball of R Rudder. It's very strange.
Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 05-29-2018, 07:35 AM

I had the same problem on my -6. I installed rudder return springs on both my -7 and -6 mainly to keep the slack out of the cables. I found that on my -6 that if I used a slightly tighter spring on the right rudder cable it would compensate for the need for right rudder in cruise, sort of a rudder trim. Served the same purpose as an external tab, worked great.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 150+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600.
1941 J3 Cub
2018 dues paid.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:16 AM

Default Rudder tab

Clear silicone will attach a modest tab on your rudder and it can be easily removed.
Hatz Biplane
Falcon RV Squadron
KFFC Hanger D-30
Peachtree City, Ga
770 310-7169
EAA Technical Counselor #5142
EAA Flight Advisor #486336
ATP/CFI/A&P/DAR
Old 05-29-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Clear silicone will attach a modest tab on your rudder and it can be easily removed.
Be careful with silicone and aluminum. Acetic acid is released on some types while curing which can lead to corrosion. Easiest way to identify is if it smells like vinegar, don't use it.
Aero Engineer, A&P
Old 05-29-2018, 12:04 PM

Mine was the same. I simply used my hands to tweak the rudder trailing edge very slightly. Took a couple iterations (went too far at first) but it now flies straight in cruise and requires less right rudder in climb. You would not know by looking at it that I did anything.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 05-31-2018, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the info