Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-28-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Chastain View Post
He gave me a map of the island and highlighted a few points of interest with a very cursory history lesson. According to John, the island was used at one time in American history as a wintering resort by one-fifth of the nation’s wealth, including the Macy and Goodyear families.
Indeed. Jekyll Island is also the birthplace of the Federal Reserve Bank. See The Creature from Jekyll Island.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:57 PM

Thank you Scott for your VAF Novels posted, not only the inspiration to fly your RV like many dream too but also your talent in writing. Your honest ups and downs of small airports is all too real, I still can't help smiling about the latest natural emergency I've experienced several times just off the runway prior to the hold short line....
I've read a couple of the complaints in this thread, Perhaps some have quit looking forward to the next chapter and some have discontinued. As for me keep writing it as you see it because I'm looking forward to it!
Old 08-30-2017, 01:38 AM

I agree, with the prior poster. I thoroughly enjoy your travel reports (as well as all others such as Vlad's etc). Having made a month ago a cross country flight which started in N. CA and went via Oshkosh to Belfast ME and then back, I have some empathy for your experiences, though I don't camp. Keep the reports coming--I am a subscriber and look forward to each one!
Old 08-30-2017, 07:57 AM

There is an important lesson to be taken from Scott's experience. It's about time. We have so little of it and are willing to share even less of it. Yet it is only in sharing our time with others that we experience the truest generosity of spirit.

I'm building my aircraft at the airport and have lost countless hours of "productivity" as a result of folks walking into the hangar. I welcome them all. Some of them come with idle curiosity, some with a burning passion for flight, and yet others with stories which have enriched my life. All in exchange for a little bit of my time. It's a great tradeoff. Spend some time with a stranger - you never know just how that visit may change your life.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:16 AM

Having spent 9+ years building -4,always had garage doors open ,an welcomed all kinds of visitors,exchanged many stories,it's the people we share time with that makes aviation so great and wonderful !
Old 08-30-2017, 02:05 PM

These serial adventures from Scott (and of course Vlad) make the workday shorter and a whole lot more inspiring...keep them coming...
RV-12, N913BC
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 08-31-2017, 08:29 AM

Nice write up about Immokalee, FL (KIMM) . Your statement "Once I crossed the first major intersection and began pedaling through downtown, I began to wonder if I was even in America anymore. It looked more to me like I was in Mexico." just goes to emphasize that "America" is so much more than the single ethnic nation some think it is. You really realize the grandeur of America when you fly to and experience places like this.

www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 08-31-2017, 08:51 AM
been here awhile

Default note from a moderator

Let's not inject politics or current events into Scott's travelogue. He is documenting his amazing journey, extraneous posts are non-productive and could run afoul of VAF policy.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
Let's not inject politics or current events into Scott's travelogue. He is documenting his amazing journey, extraneous posts are non-productive and could run afoul of VAF policy.
Agree - I deleted my post
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 08-31-2017, 09:25 AM

Default Air mattress?

Scott--

I was wondering about your air mattress. Do you have to blow that up by mouth every time you want to use it, or do you have a 12V compressor?