What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Alignment One at a Time

BoilermakerRV

Well Known Member
Van's says it's okay to install, align and drill wings one at a time if your shop dimensions don't allow both to be installed at the same time (which is my case). But then the sweep check is to measure both wing tips to some reference point on the fuselage (very similar to the HS alignment procedure). What methods have folks used when you only have one wing to work with?

Thanks!

Small shop

I too have a small shop problem. I plan to do my wing fitting at the airport during final assembly, rather than one wing at a time. YMMV.

Next Time

I plan to do my wing fitting at the airport during final assembly, rather than one wing at a time.

That would have been an option, maybe even a better one. However, now that the wing is on there, I'd like to take advantage and do as much as possible before I have my friends come back over and help me remove it.

I'll just work on the canopy while I think about it some more.

I would establish a longitudinal fuselage reference line on the floor. Then drop a plumb line from the inboard leading edge of the wing and mark it. Now establish a line through the mark and 90 degrees to the fuselage reference line. That will give you a reference for the wing leading edge that is 90 degrees to the fuselage. If you have to vary from exactly 90 degrees in order to have proper edge distance for the rear spar attachment hole you can note the variance at the wing tip and make sure the other wing has the same when you drill it. My $0.02.

Robert

Thanks Robert. I like that approach. I can drop a plumb bob from each side of the fuselage at a few points and measure the half way point to establish the longitudinal center line. I also have a Bosch laser level that may help at some point.

Measurements

Don't forget the 3/4/5 right triangle rule. Over the lengths you working with, trigonometry is probably more accurate than angular projections. Plumb bob points at the LE and TE ( or spar surfaces) at the root (Fuse Skin) plus one at the LE(or spar) at the tip. Then you can measure the three sides of the triangle on the floor with significant accuracy. Just one more option :)

Back