What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9-A 320 cowl vs the 360 cowl ?

PerfTech

Well Known Member
? We have a customer requesting we fit a 0-360 into his 9-A. Has anyone
done this with the standard Vans 0-320 cowl and is there a clearance issue?
Thanks, Allan...:confused:

If carbureted the 360 air filter is deeper & snorkle will have to be lowered about an inch. On one plane I cut the snorkle & re-glassed it back on for the deeper air filter housing, I think I widened it a bit too. Wasn't that hard, but was years ago & time may be softening the memory of all the expletives I said at the time...

Another thing, check the valve cover clearance on the existing engine as the 360 is 3/4" wider on each bank.

If you make the exhaust air ramp a bit wider, will give you a bit more clearance for the tail pipes.

Last edited:
If the lower exit for the RV-9A on the O320 vs O360 is anything like the RV-8, then the vertical induction carburetor clearance is the issue.

There are several options such as cutting and lowering the “snout”, switching to fuel injection, or trying a throttle body injector.

If you’re up for the task, it is possible to creat a custom fiberglas / carbonfiber airbox which will fit the existing cowl.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=162874

Last edited:
The above comments are worth exploring. If you are up to that fiberglass work though then purchasing the O-360 cowl, if vertical induction or the IO-360, if forward induction, will work also. I have the IO-360 cowl (this is the one without the snout underneath) on my 9A with forward facing cold air induction. There are pics of it in the threads if you search on my name. Works great.

Allan, you could just modify the FAB, as I had to when I installed my O-360 and the Sam James short cowl.

Here are some pictures.

It S turns upward to the opening and I had to create a new Carb Heat valve for it.

I must have gotten lucky because on takeoff from our 1100' elevation field on a warmer than standard day, I will see well over 28" of manifold pressure.

If you go this route, I suggest cutting the intake off and affixing it with plate nuts. That would make installing the bottom cowl so much easier!

Nice solution Bill.
I also did a removable air inlet mod to the cowl on the last carbureted plane & agree that it eases lower cowl installation, by a lot!

Nice solution Bill.
I also did a removable air inlet mod to the cowl on the last carbureted plane & agree that it eases lower cowl installation, by a lot!
For the record, I didn't do the removable air inlet mod but sure wish I did. With the plane painted, I don't want to risk messing it up. Some day, I might figure out how to cut it out, without trashing the paint.

Back