What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone using Princeton capacitive converters with G3x Touch?

Thermos

Well Known Member
Patron
Fellow G3x users -

I installed Princeton capacitive converters to provide fuel level to my G3x Touch system and they're powered by the GEA-24. I just noticed a post elsewhere on VAF that the Princeton boxes are apparently more power-hungry than other converters, and sure enough, I missed the words in the manual that say they MAY require direct power runs not through the -24.

I've applied power to my avionics with the converters connected and they *appear* to be functioning normally with the appropriate LEDs illuminated for calibration. But before I rewire them I'm hoping to get some more data points - have any other G3x Touch users had success powering their Princeton converters from the GEA-24?

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited:
Fellow G3x users -

I installed Princeton capacitive converters to provide fuel level to my G3x Touch system and they're powered by the GEA-24. I just noticed a post elsewhere on VAF that the Princeton boxes are apparently more power-hungry than other converters, and sure enough, I missed the words in the manual that say they MAY require direct power runs not through the -24.

I've applied power to my avionics with the converters connected and they *appear* to be functioning normally with the appropriate LEDs illuminated for calibration. But before I rewire them I'm hoping to get some more data points - have any other G3x Touch users had success powering their Princeton converters from the GEA-24?

Thanks,

Dave
Hello Dave,

How much current at 12Vdc do these units draw? That is the key question since each GEA 24 regulated +12Vdc transducer power output is limited to 50 mA.

We recommend connecting anything that is designed to operate off variable aircraft power to aircraft power rather than burdening the GEA 24 with that device.

If a device like this requires highly regulated 12Vdc power, and can live within the 50 mA budget, then no problem connecting it to the GEA 24.

Thanks,
Steve

I have both of mine on a 1 amp fuse on my main bus. They were wired that way with my original avionics before I converted to the G3X Touch system.

How much current at 12Vdc do these units draw? That is the key question since each GEA 24 regulated +12Vdc transducer power output is limited to 50 mA.
Steve,

Thanks for such a fast reply! I originally thought the Princeton converters drew more than 50 mA because of the caution on page 24-27 of the install manual. After your post I did a quick test to find out for sure by jumpering a meter in the +12v line.

2019-06-07%2021.21.35.jpg

Looks like only 8 mA drawn by the converter. The BNC connector isn't attached to the tank, but I doubt that would make much of a difference since there's no current flowing through the tank/capacitor.

Dave

Steve,

Thanks for such a fast reply! I originally thought the Princeton converters drew more than 50 mA because of the caution on page 24-27 of the install manual. After your post I did a quick test to find out for sure by jumpering a meter in the +12v line.

2019-06-07%2021.21.35.jpg

Looks like only 8 mA drawn by the converter. The BNC connector isn't attached to the tank, but I doubt that would make much of a difference since there's no current flowing through the tank/capacitor.

Dave
Hello Dave,

That is good news! Doesn't look like you have to change anything.

Just a caution to others that this is not always the case with all models of this brand converter.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Separate power

Mine are powered from the main batt bus but it looks like you?re ok. They are crazy accurate and I?m glad I installed them.

Capacitance fuel sensors

Just a little off the immediate subject, but perhaps someone can help. I am fitting a JPI (EDM) 930 engine monitor to my RV8. I am unable to get any response from the fuel quantity gauging, all I get are red crosses. I have tried fitting the Princeton converters, but that didn?t seem to make any difference. I have been unable to find any information about the sensors themselves, which I think were originally from Vans. From the JPI manual, there is no mention of needing Princeton converters. I sent the unit back to EDM and it checks out as fully. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Back