What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tig time

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
IMG_1687.JPG

Today I entertained myself for another full day with my RV8 rollbar project. I'm happy to say that the structure of the rollbar and all of its braces are completely welded. It isn't perfect, but there is also nothing to hide.

So, lets take count:
- ~250 - Number of times I forgot to put on my readers before putting the helmet down and engaging warp speed.
- 2 - Number of times, after I knew better, that I didn't realize that I had forgotten to put on the readers until After finishing a short weld and inspecting its surprising crappy quality.
- 4 - Number of times I forgot to open the Argon bottle before starting a weld. Yikes, that becomes obvious real quick. Stop, shutdown, new tungsten, clean part, reset...
- ~8 - Number of times I stuffed the electrode in the puddle! Same results as above.
- ~15 - Number of times I stuffed the filler rod into the tungsten. Same as above.
- ~60 - Number of days welding until I figured out that I could just close the A/C vent above the welding table instead of turning off the A/C in the whole shop for each weld (to keep from blowing away the Argon shield).
- 1 - Number of times I forgot to drill a small pressure relief hole in a sealed piece of tubing that I was welding on. This one was very dramatic.

IMG_1686.JPG

I got a question about the equipment I'm using. It is a Miller 200 DX with a water cooled torch driven by a Coolmate 1. Absolutely perfect for my application. AC (aluminum), DC (steel), programmable pulse for delicates... I've done the standard party trick of stitching two pieces of aluminum foil together. Not very useful, but an entertaining skill builder. The biggest stuff I've done with it so far is the welding bench made of thick wall square tubing. I've been using it for about two years, instigated specifically for this project. I'm glad I didn't skimp.

Looks like this applies to the air compressor also.

Actually, I'm not happy with that compressor and can't wait to get rid of it someday. The head gasket on the compressor leaks between the cylinders. Poor design. So it works harder than it should. I went around and around with IR when I first got it. Maybe I should just put it up on Craig's list and be done with it :). Yep you touched on an annoyance in my shop for the last seven years.

IR Compressor - just fix it

I have an IR 60gal two stage with the "vee" compressor and it blew a head gasket in the first 4 months of use. Very disappointing for such a good name brand. I took the head off, and it was poorly placed and had a thin edge. I replaced it (gasket was cheap) and it has been running for 10 years now.

I use (abuse?) mine heavily in the fall to blow out my irrigation system!

I gotta say, Scott, only a confident man can admit all the puddle mistakes!! I have a hard time admitting them to myself, let alone to this bunch. I laughed at your list. I got a Lincoln 185 at OSH with their specials, a great deal that can not be beat.

I have an IR 60gal two stage with the "vee" compressor and it blew a head gasket in the first 4 months of use. Very disappointing for such a good name brand. I took the head off, and it was poorly placed and had a thin edge. I replaced it (gasket was cheap) and it has been running for 10 years now.

I use (abuse?) mine heavily in the fall to blow out my irrigation system!

I gotta say, Scott, only a confident man can admit all the puddle mistakes!! I have a hard time admitting them to myself, let alone to this bunch. I laughed at your list. I got a Lincoln 185 at OSH with their specials, a great deal that can not be beat.

Yep, that is why I'm so familiar with the issue. IR sent me three new head gaskets over the course of the first 18mo of service. Failure is pretty obvious. I gave up. It works, just not as well as it should. I guess most people just don't notice.

I had a gasket blow and RTVed the head down, no gasket. Haven't had a problem since.

If any of you guys want to permanently solve the problem, send me a gasket and I will CNC mill copper gaskets.

Last edited:
Noooooo!

I guess I have been lucky. I have had the same compressor for the last 7 or 8 years and it has had no problems at all including gasket leaks. (Probably just jinxed myself).

What I find strange is that Scott would choose that Tee shirt to weld in.:). I usually burn holes in my shirts when I'm welding. Scott must have a secret method to prevent it.

That's like my favorite tee shirt and is reserved for special dress occasions.:)

I know zilch about TIG, but I'd like to learn.

I guess I have been lucky. I have had the same compressor for the last 7 or 8 years and it has had no problems at all including gasket leaks. (Probably just jinxed myself).

What I find strange is that Scott would choose that Tee shirt to weld in.:). I usually burn holes in my shirts when I'm welding. Scott must have a secret method to prevent it.

That's like my favorite tee shirt and is reserved for special dress occasions.:)

I know zilch about TIG, but I'd like to learn.

I have to use every trick I can think of, including clothing myself in the garb of a master TIG welder! I was trying to channel the inner spirit of Vetterman of course. It Worked!

To continue on the "compressor tangent": I am using a 5 HP, 2 stage DeVilbiss that my dad purchased surplus from a gas station in 1959! It has been through several motors, but as long as I change the oil every few years, it seems happy.

I guess they dont make em like they used to.

Scott, I have over 30,000 hours tig welding and have never used gloves like those.... If you must wear gloves (I don't for small welds) try a thin deerskin type. It will give way more control over the torch and filler rod.

Scott, I have over 30,000 hours tig welding and have never used gloves like those.... If you must wear gloves (I don't for small welds) try a thin deerskin type. It will give way more control over the torch and filler rod.

I'm just a newbie learning my way, but those golves are extremely thin and soft leather. http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Kidskin-Welders-Straight-Kevlar/dp/B000J2EGRM Anything thinner and you might as well not put them on at all.

My torch control has improved, my self control is another question :).

Back