What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Width of assembled fuselage (outside dimensions)

llavalle

Well Known Member
Hey guys,

I haven't posted here in a LONG time. Sold my RV-9A project a couple of years ago and I want to get back to a new build.

I'm getting a new house built and I'm planning to use the basement as a shop. Looking at the width of the direct to basement access needed to get the fuselage out of there when completed.

So, anyone here has the width of a completed fuselage (including the protruding part of the spar section?

Bonus : with the wheels, how wider is it?

Thanks guys
Phil

The rear of spar sticks out a little on each side, but the widest part is the bottom fuselage skin beneath the seat ribs. That dimension is a bit less than 47". Can't help you with the with on gear dimension.

Don Broussard
RV – 9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

The rear of spar sticks out a little on each side, but the widest part is the bottom fuselage skin beneath the seat ribs. That dimension is a bit less than 47". Can't help you with the with on gear dimension.

Don Broussard
RV ? 9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

This is posted in the RV-14 forum so I think the OP is asking about a 14 fuselage width which I think is a little bit more than 47" (but I don't recall the exact #)

including the center spar section, the 14 is just a tad under 54.5" wide. Measuring on the gear for a 14A the gear width adds under 41".

So on it's gear you need a door width of just about 8'.

This is posted in the RV-14 forum so I think the OP is asking about a 14 fuselage width which I think is a little bit more than 47" (but I don't recall the exact #)

Indeed, sorry, I should have specified this ;) You are correct, I was building a -9A (now sold). Looking for the specs of a -14A now.

including the center spar section, the 14 is just a tad under 54.5" wide. Measuring on the gear for a 14A the gear width adds under 41".

So on it's gear you need a door width of just about 8'.

Wooa, ok, yeah, this is wide. Thanks for the info. I'll check the prices but I might be better with my original idea : build a dedicated plane shop in the backyard.

Thanks for the info guys, appreciated. Can't wait to get back to building, I miss it a lot ;)

Back