What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing ribs rivet to spar - Pg 14-07

jeffw@sc47

Well Known Member
RV14A, Wing Ribs, Page 14-07.
For the purposes of this string of questions assume that #1 rib is the inboard most rib (W-1010-R) and the outboard most rib is #14 (W-1012-R Trimmed).

Paraphrased - - ->

Step 1: Cleco all the ribs to the spar except the inboard most rib (W-1011-R).
NOTE: Do not install nuts and washers to three most inboard wing ribs.
?? [ does this mean the three most inboard ribs clecoed to the spar (#2 through #4) or the #1 through the #3 rib? ].

Step 2: Except the three most inboard wing ribs . . .
?? [ same question as above ].

Step 3: For the three most inboard wing ribs, it is necessary to push the bolt out of the way to set the rivets.
?? [ again, same as first question above ], and
?? [ I have the bolts installed but can't see why those bolts need to be pushed out of the way to set the rivets - I am clearly not seeing what is being described here or missing something in translation ]. > pushed out of the way - TO WHERE, pushed back into its drilled hole before attaching the nut?

The end of the bolt that receives the nut at the rib flange appears to be far enough from the rivets that it is not conflicting with riveting and won't be a problem.

I do not remember this perfectly but I believe what I did was to cleco and bolt only the #3 rib and then rivet it. Then cleco and bolt the #2 rib and rivet it. Then cleco and bolt the #1 rib and rivet it. The idea being that you won't have the further inboard ribs getting in the way while your rivet the further outboard ribs since they are so close together.

Attaching wing ribs

Jeff,

I don't have my printed plans (with handwritten notes) handy but I do remember reading these steps over and over again. I left the first inboard rib off until I knew it wouldn't interfere with my riveting the second one. I did install the bolts but not the nuts/washers on the ribs in question. As you already noticed, they don't really interfere with anything. I took those instructions to mean "don't install anything that will interfere with installing rivets on the rib flanges." I think I worked from out- to inboard to make sure I had access to the flanges.

Back