What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bag 3036 Empennage kit

n982sx

Well Known Member
I'm working on the tail cone and started to add the nut plates along the longeron and inspection plate cover. After I finished the left side I tried to mount the inspection plate and found the screws to be very loose. Upon inspection the nut plates look like they are for a number 8 screw not a number six.

I looked at the contents of the rest of the bag and all the nut plates listed on the inventory sheet as K1000-06 are really -08's. They even have a -08 stamped on them. The K1100-06 listed on the inventory sheet are -06's. It looks like my bag got the wrong parts. The inventory sheet says they are all supposed to be -06's, but clearly they are not.

Has anyone else run into this?

My kit was one of the early empennage kits, sent out the last week of October 2013 so newer kits might not have the problem.

Last edited:
Thanks Ron,

I happen to have a bunch of 8R8 screws from my last build. I'll call Van's in the morning just to make sure there aren't any issues with opening up any of the holes where the nut plates are already installed or to be installed.

There shouldn't be. I think these are all for the inspection plates, gap covers and empennage fairing. 8R8 are a bit of overkill for those but it shouldn't cause any problem to use them.

Back