What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

missing J channel

Ron B.

Well Known Member
As per the e-mail I sent Van's
Hello Support
RV-14 , kit # 1400018.
As per your packing list you supplied 6 pcs of J channel 6 ft long and 4 pcs 8 ft long. For the wing box we are to cut two pcs 73 9/32" long. This will require cutting four 8 ft lengths (both wings). We are to cut two pcs 46 1/8" . All we now have left in stock is 6 ft pieces so four (both wings) need to be cut for the the wing box short j channels. The outboard leading edge requires two pcs 59 3/8" using up the last 6 ft lengths. We still require two pcs 54" long for fuel tanks.
I do believe the quantities on the 8 ft and 6 ft lengths got reversed as if we had six, 8 ft lengths and four , 6 ft lengths there would be enough for the tasks.
Lastly does Van's ship Flamemaster out to Canada? I seem to remember that was an issue back when I built the RV-10.
Thanks Ron

Anyone check with Van's as to when they will be shipping the "J" channel, VA-112, FLF-00005 and the VA-170A, for the wings?

I recieved an e-mail reply from Van's today saying they are still waiting for parts from a supplier. They were expected late last week but were not in yet this morning.
Ron

I got a UPS delivery receipt from Van's indicating a delivery made today. I not home right now but I'm assuming it's the J-channels since I didn't order anything else from them.

Just got a reply that all the items were shipped this morning. I just finished everything I could on the tanks until the "j" channel and flamemaster show up. I did recieve the aileron brackets and riveted them together today. They still need to be riveted to the wings.
In Canada we need to have a precover inspection done before the components can be closed up. The outboard leading edge is all riveted but not riveted to the spar due to the precover inspection, therefore I'm not going to install the wiring at this time.
I guess it's flap and aileron time now waiting for the tank sealant. I'm debating on paying an extra $365 precover fee plus $.55 per kilometer milage fee so I can close up the wings or putting them aside once I'm up to the precover stage and waiting for the other parts to become available and only having one precover fee plus milage. The milage fee for the MD-RA inspector will be $250 each time he comes. I'm thinking if I have a precover for the wings then another for the tail and fuselage, three inspections @ $615 , will be $1845 for precover inspections (ridiculous). But I don't want to store half assembled parts, I want them finished ready for assembly when their other counterparts are complete. What a delima.
Ron

Just got a reply that all the items were shipped this morning. I just finished everything I could on the tanks until the "j" channel and flamemaster show up. I did recieve the aileron brackets and riveted them together today. They still need to be riveted to the wings.
In Canada we need to have a precover inspection done before the components can be closed up. The outboard leading edge is all riveted but not riveted to the spar due to the precover inspection, therefore I'm not going to install the wiring at this time.
I guess it's flap and aileron time now waiting for the tank sealant. I'm debating on paying an extra $365 precover fee plus $.55 per kilometer milage fee so I can close up the wings or putting them aside once I'm up to the precover stage and waiting for the other parts to become available and only having one precover fee plus milage. The milage fee for the MD-RA inspector will be $250 each time he comes. I'm thinking if I have a precover for the wings then another for the tail and fuselage, three inspections @ $615 , will be $1845 for precover inspections (ridiculous). But I don't want to store half assembled parts, I want them finished ready for assembly when their other counterparts are complete. What a delima.
Ron

Wow Ron, that's nuts. We've really got it good here in the US. I think I paid a DAR about $350 once at the end for my -9A. I think I'd wait and close up everything all at once if I had to pay all those fees. I waited until late in the build to close up my -9A wing and was glad I did because I ended up making some changes to the autopilot servo bracket and lights.

Back