What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spinner plate

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I know Van's does not like being bugged and it's been over a month since I asked them. Anyone know if they have the IO-390 spinner plates available yet for the RV-14? I would like to proceed with installing the engine cowls soon and need a spinner plate before getting started on that.

Spinner

I had the same issue and found out that the 13" constant speed spinner kit sold by vans is what they are using on their Rv-14. Spinner and cowl installed. Sure would be nice to have firewall forward kit!

I bought that CS-13 spinner kit and started on it today. I'm just guessing that I would follow the same procedure used on the RV-10 plans? The parts are slightly different in that I don't think the RV-10 had holes in the big plate (at least not as many), but other than that, my guess is the actual construction will be the same...at least I hope so, because I'll start cutting it tomorrow.

There is nothing different about the rear spinner bulkhead for the RV-14.

The difference is that builders will get a spinner that is pre-marked for all of the screw locations and trimming at the blade cutouts, which will make it very simple to install. A template is proved to to allow for marking and trimming the pieces removed from the blade cutouts to use as filler pieces behind the blades.

Super, then it should be easy. I'll get that spinner backplate mounted with the prop and get that cowl fit then.

I guess I did not bug Van's enough as I would have purchased a CS-13 spinner over a month ago had I not been told by two individuals that no spinner was available for purchase for the RV-14A with an IO-390 engine.
I'll have to place my order Monday.

Right now one of the biggest pressing things for me would be if I could buy the baffle kit. If anyone finds out that's orderable and has a part number, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd also like to order the prop governor cable bracket.

I guess I did not bug Van's enough as I would have purchased a CS-13 spinner over a month ago had I not been told by two individuals that no spinner was available for purchase for the RV-14A with an IO-390 engine.
I'll have to place my order Monday.

Ron,
What you were told is correct. There is no RV-14 specific spinner kit available yet.
Van's has always had only one constant speed spinner kit. It is used on every model (except for the RV-12) from the RV-10 on down.

The RV-14 Power Plant Kit will have a model specific spinner kit. It is basically the same spinner kit, with some improvements (along with much improved install manual) that will help reduce the installation time (particularly for a first time builder). Once it has been released with the RV-14 power plant kit, it will probably become the standard spinner kit for all the models

As I mentioned previously, the rear bulkhead on the RV-14 spinner will be exactly the same as the standard spinner.

Scott, would you know if I purchase the S-602-1 and the S-602B backing plate and doubler ring, could I have them deleted from my spinner kit when it's becomes available?
Ron

Scott, would you know if I purchase the S-602-1 and the S-602B backing plate and doubler ring, could I have them deleted from my spinner kit when it's becomes available?
Ron

I don't think the spinner kit is a prebundled kit so I think that would be possible, but e-mail someone in the office to be sure.

Back