What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Heat and Tubing at Wing Root

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
When the wing is mated to the fuselage, what is covered up, and what is exposed at the wing root? I'm installing a heated Dynon pitot tube, and planning to have a backup of some sort in the panel. The stock setup is to have the static pass through the rib holes in the plans out to the ADAHRS. My setup also needs to have the pitot line pass in from the wing to the fuselage but that isn't accounted for in the plans. I also want to have two 12AWG wires for the pitot heat pass from the wing to the fuselage, but these are too big to pass through the rib holes made by the plans.

If I don't want to punch new holes in the ribs, what are my options?

I will twist the red and black pitot heat wires to minimize magnetic fields so they don't affect the ADAHRS magnetometer in the Dynon ADAHRS. I was originally thinking Garmin but I think Dynon might be better for me.... I can put this twisted pair into a tygon tube and run it with the pitot tubing....

-and- If I run the pitot tubing in the channel made by the j-channel in the upper skin, and run the static in the already-made holes of the ribs, and then run the heater lines with the j-channel, will there be any problem of access to the wires or the tubing when it is mated to the fuselage? Running with the J-channel will bring it out right under the skin and I don't know if the fuselage skin butts up on the wing with enough gap to make thicountersink them for the screws coming through the plate?

Or, I can run the lines along the j-channel and then out a lightening hole at the root.

I wish the plans accounted for this..... but oh well.

Can someone post some pictures of how the wing looks at the fuselage without the fairing on, both from outside and from inside the fuselage?

Thank you for the PMs and pictures I've gotten on this subject. I've been lacing wires and thinking about it.... probably going to just say good enough, put the pitot heat wires twisted in some properly sized flexible tubing, and tie wrap it along the lightening holes with 1/8 holes in each rib to hold the tie wrap.... No hurry, not today, but that's the best I can come up with minimal hassle and minimal new holes.

Any strong objections out there.....?

Was there strong outcry for running them along with the pitot tubing? Ill be running into a similar issue.

Not really; best advice is to just wait and move onto something else for a while!!!

The two hitches I have are the desire to have 14V/Gnd 12AWG heater wires and these just won't fit with the existing bundle. Second is wanting to send the pitot line into the fuselage to run up to the panel (Dynon) or sending AOA/Pitot to the panel without running static to the wing (G3X) - either way one extra air line.

I really don't feel like drilling big holes and running all new grommets. I don't mind as much drilling some strategically placed #30 holes. I also want to run the 12AWG wires as far from the possible Dynon ADAHRS as possible to avoid interference with the magnetometer; worst case is it is terrible and I get a remote magnetometer somewhere else. No way to predict but if I twist the 12AWG lines to keep them same length in the run then the magnetic interference should be very low (unless the pitot heat controller is itself grounded and then it's moot). But Dynon says to run a separate ground to avoid interference so I'm hopeful it is isolated from the box ground.

I figure I'll put the wires in a piece of tygon and just run along the big hole as close to the existing bundle of wires as possible. Alternative is to rivet on a few grommet holding pieces of aluminum and pass through that, also at the edge of the lightening hole.

The second nylon air line is less critical and any old place will do; so was thinking of passing it along the j-channel space, but worried about interference at the wing root. Probably will just send it along with the 12AWG wires for convenience.

Back