What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First post...I?m a newbie, which one to build?

VANDawg

Excited about getting started on a project, but need a little help on which RV to get. I?m at the point where I don?t know what I don?t know, but think I have settled on either the RV9A or RV7A.
We will be using it for 300-500 (one way) mile trips 10-12 times per year, so faster is better. I?m 6?1? and my boss is 5?6?, and neither one are pilots, YET. The plan is to get our ticket while we are building and have this as our plane for many years.
Fire away, would love to get everyone?s thoughts, and I can take anything from ?you?re a nut? to ?go for it?. LOL

If commuting it's the primary goal, maybe the RV9. If you want to do an occasional roll, go for the 7. If you want aerobatics and tons of room, maybe look at the 14. Either way, I would lean away from the a models, and learn to fly the tailwheel version. It'll make you a better pilot!

Hard to go far wrong with either aircraft...

...for that kind of flying, but I'd get your license and fly a bit before jumping into building. You'll want to make sure that you and the boss really like the whole flying thing. Also, efficiently learning to fly takes a sustained effort, and you don't want to dilute that with rivet pulling.

And don't stop at the private. Depending somewhat on the geography of your 600- to 1000-mile roundtrip mission, you'll likely need to be instrument rated in order to make the trips on anything approaching a regular basis. And even then, there'll very likely be times you just can't go by RV. I'm instrument rated and equipped, and my regular mission is only 400-miles roundtrip across fairly tame terrain (VA to PA on the coast), but often I have to drive instead due to weather.

In general, small aircraft are a much less reliable form of transportation than nonpilots think. You can only do so much without pressurization, de-ice, and onboard radar. :) AOPA etc. tend to gloss over that fact somewhat with photos of smiling guys getting out of 172s with briefcases.

Oh, and you may be a nut, but you should DEFINITELY go for it!

...and learn to fly the tailwheel version. It'll make you a better pilot!

It'll, maybe, only make you better at landing and taking off because once they leave the ground they all fly the same and it doesn't matter where their wheels are.

Either way, I would lean away from the a models, and learn to fly the tailwheel version. It'll make you a better pilot!

Personally, I would suggest you stay away from the tailwheel. It will force you to be a better pilot only if you get lousy instruction to begin with. And meanwhile-especially as just beginning pilots-you will face considerably higher insurance costs (because the insurers know the risks).

That question comes up from time to time, never easy to answer.
Owning a small plane costs, doesn't natter how you slice it you will always have yr hand in yr pocket.
The biggest thing to think about is 'mission' and seeing as you have mentioned using a plane for transport purposes as against seeing the world upside down then the 9 is probably the best choice, bare in mind though that every plane (not just Vans) is a trade off.
Personally I'd get a basic license first, do a bit of general flying experience the cost, the hassles (oh yes it's not all peaches & cream) as you will have a better appreciation of what's involved, then consider building. If yr still keen during the build then the costs will be higher, flying & building ain't cheap!
Try before you buy is always a good way of helping with decision making.

As for having a 'training wheel' version? That's a whole other story!:D

I consider it practically impossible to make an informed decision about which aircraft is best suited if enough flying hours haven't been accumulated to achieve a pilots license....plus some more hours. This is kinda like deciding which recreational vehicle is the best camping option before ever setting foot in a campground. However, I see from your profile you are surrounded by pilots so you may be farther along in your decision tree than some non-pilots.

Get your ticket, spend some time exploring how you enjoy using an aircraft, then you will be able to find the correct aircraft for your needs. You may decide you want to buy a flying RV instead of building one.

Best wishes whichever path you choose. :)

Last edited:
There is some really good advice in this thread. Building and owning an RV is great, but I know a number of guys and gals who wanted to be pilots and who gave it up after 10 hours of instruction. So I wouldn't jump into a kit until you have your license and are absolutely certain you're going to move forward as pilots/owners.

One of the best decisions I made after getting my license was to buy an inexpensive aircraft - a Piper Tomahawk. I flew it for several years before starting my RV, and kept it until late in the RV build process. That really helped me stay current and have relevant experience when the RV was finished.

be sure you want to build one and not only own/fly an RV. Building a -4 I learned that I?m definitely more of a flyer than a builder.
So seriously evaluate if you wanna fly or build (and many Khours of build time and KUSD of money to eventually fly).

As others have said, build your hours, then decide what and if you wanna build, or what you wanna spend your money on. They are more and more nice flying RVs of all types on the market.

Once you learn to fly, buy any airplane. Doesn't matter what. If it doesn't change your life, sell it.

If it does, though, after a few years you'll have a wonderful idea of what you want and need. Then if you desire, you can build an airplane, the one you want.

Otherwise the chances of wasting your time and postponing the flight instruction can be large.

Dave

Back