- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2018, 09:39 AM

Default Rear fuselage modifications?

While I have been looking through the rear fuselage instructions, I got to wondering if anyone has any neat ideas for additions or modifications to the plans.

For example, my PA-28 has an exterior electrical plug for jump starting the plane. It is on the side of the fuselage, behind the baggage door, which is where the battery is located on that plane. Has anyone put something similar on their RV?

Another idea I had is on the static system. Is there anything I can do now that will make life easier for the mechanics who do my IFR static system tests every two years? I've never been present for these checks so I don't know how their equipment normally hooks up with the static system in the plane.

I know that some people have put an OAT probe in the tail. So I know that all sorts of things have been done and I'm looking for ideas in case I decide I really have to have something and it will be easier to do now rather than after joining the front and rear fuselage together. All ideas welcome!
Old 02-19-2018, 01:23 PM

Every time you add something to your RV it adds weight quickly. Don't get carried away with extras. As far as jumping plugs they will add a fair amount of weight. The battery location on the RV-14 is on the passenger side on the fire wall. I do not believe in flying with a battery that wouldn't turn over an engine and needed to be boosted. I installed a small plug that is accessible through the oil door , that is fused for a small charger. On the RV-14 , it's very easy to remove the top cowl.
I did upgrade the static system with a Safe Air system for ease of installation and for hopefully a tight system (so far so good,100hrs.)
I installed my OAT probes in the wing for ease of installation.
The only thing I would do different in the tail is I would have installed my own wiring rather than Van's because they have plugs at the baggage bulk head so the wiring can be installed before the mating takes place. I do not like connections where not needed (personnel choice) so I would prefer to climb in back there and install single runs from start to finish. That way when something does not work , it's either at the front or back or you have a broken wire (not likely , usually a connection).
Old 02-19-2018, 04:47 PM

I am trying to find the Safe Air products but Iím not having any luck. Did they go out of business?
Old 02-19-2018, 05:18 PM

If I hadn't installed yet, I may give this a try..https://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...tatic-kit-port
Old 02-19-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
I am trying to find the Safe Air products but Iím not having any luck. Did they go out of business?
Cleaveland Tools sells a nice static system.

N1402 reserved
RV-14a Empennage Done
QB Wing QB Fuse inprogress
Build Log
Old 02-19-2018, 05:53 PM

Look up ďplumbing kitĒ on Cleaveland site

Very nice.
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 02-20-2018, 04:44 AM

If you were thinking about using Dynon , they now have a static AOA kit as well.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:02 AM

I'm leaning strongly toward Garmin. I just couldn't plan out a Dynon system that does what I want for any less than Garmin.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:31 AM

I use the same P/S plumbing kits on both Garmin & Dynon installs. The old Safe Air kits (Virtually same as sold by Cleveland & Dynon) super easy to install & I have NEVER had a leak.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the tips. I looked at the Cleaveland static air kit. I like it. Two questions:

1. Can the existing holes in the RV-14 rear fuselage skins be used with the 1/2" hole for the Cleaveland static ports, or are they too close to a bulkhead?

2. I found old threads talking about installation-related errors in the static system when using the Safe Air kit. Does the Cleaveland kit have those problems, in anyone's experience? (It looks like it protrudes from the skin a bit, which sounded like what the Safe Air kit was lacking that led to inaccuracies. But I am just building this thing, I'm not any kind of a fluid dynamics expert.)

(3. Does anyone want to buy the static air kit that came with my empennage kit? It's new-in-box. )