- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2019, 01:32 PM

Default 3 bladed Fan Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDog View Post
After being at the show all week, I finally saw the new prop at the Van's tent. It has the same diameter as the two-blade prop, and therefore a much narrower chord. It reminds me of the props I see down at the south end of the field at the ultralight strip, whereas the standard two-blade prop looks much more substantial. Supposedly the three-blade is a bit lighter (didn't expect that) and has a slight performance improvement in some areas, owing, I guess, to the higher aspect ratio of the individual blades. Speaking to the Van's crew, I get the feeling that they think the performance is a toss up. I've decided to stick with two blades.

Jerre
I came away with some opinions after seeing it at OSH, but fist let me say that I was a big fan boy when I first head about the idea that 3 bladed prop might be a great option. Now I have seen the finish product in person and I'm not as impressed, Here are my observations.

Pros. Is the coolness factor. Thats it, that's the only thing.

Cons;
Going to pay another 2,000 or so more on top of the engine kit for a little less noise and 40 FPM increase in performance.

So for this 3 bladed Fan Boy, I will have to pass, for now.
RV-12iS Completed
Airworthiness signed off by the FAA 1/23/2020
First Flight on 3/14/2020

Need:
Finishing Phase I
Paint?
Serial#12-0864
N112DR
VAF donation made for 2020