VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-09-2019, 07:20 AM

Hi SCR
Sorry for the confusion with the 327 config; it should be Remote.
The mux harness I got (over a year ago) was to adapt the NavWorx EXP and it had a d-Sub 9 pin connector. Pin 6 from the ECHO was not wired into the d-Sub, so you could wire the GPS data direct into Com2 RX of the ECHO.
The only pinout for the Mux I have is Appendix C-12 on page 49 of the ECHO install manual. They must have a different mux now.
Make sure you have the correct SW for the 430W to send ADSB+ GPS data. I have worked with Kurt at uAvionix (kurt@uavionix.com). I will try to find how they have the mux wired now. Hang in there, once you get it working you'll like it. Cheers Barry
Old 06-09-2019, 07:52 AM

Default Baud Rate

Looking thru my notes, I think I have another piece of the puzzle. I think the Mux harness converts all incoming baud rates to 115200 and sends that to the ECHO; so the ECHO can be configured at 115200 for both COM1 and COM2
Old 06-09-2019, 08:19 AM

Default 327 Pinout

Hey J3
Looking at your pinout from the 327; pin 19 is a SP IN. I think you will have to splice into the the wire going to it and it should be the Encoder data that will feed the 327 and the ECHO. Cheers Barry
Old 06-09-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryrv10 View Post
Hey J3
Looking at your pinout from the 327; pin 19 is a SP IN. I think you will have to splice into the the wire going to it and it should be the Encoder data that will feed the 327 and the ECHO. Cheers Barry
Correct on the existing wire at pin 19. I did the two-conductor 22AWG twisted pair w/ shield connections to the Garmin GTX 327 transponder yesterday and job went smoothly. The D-Sub connector on back of the transponder tray unscrews and then you can pull the harness free to work on it. In my case I have a SL40 comm radio mounted right above the transponder in the center stack. What was really cool - I pulled both radios out of their trays and was able to reach the transponder D-Sub connector through the large lightening holes in the upper tray. I spliced into the encoder wire already present at pin 19 and added a new pin 20. Then I grounded the two-conductor shield at the transponder. The other end of the shield will float. Wires are run back to the baggage compartment where the echo UAT is mounted. So, remaining work is the terminate the power, ground, WAAS GPS, and the two transponder wires into a new 9-pin D-Sub which mates to the MUX. This is like doing a sleight-of-hand coin trick...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 522

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryrv10 View Post
Hi SCR
Sorry for the confusion with the 327 config; it should be Remote.
The mux harness I got (over a year ago) was to adapt the NavWorx EXP and it had a d-Sub 9 pin connector. Pin 6 from the ECHO was not wired into the d-Sub, so you could wire the GPS data direct into Com2 RX of the ECHO.
The only pinout for the Mux I have is Appendix C-12 on page 49 of the ECHO install manual. They must have a different mux now.
Make sure you have the correct SW for the 430W to send ADSB+ GPS data. I have worked with Kurt at uAvionix (kurt@uavionix.com). I will try to find how they have the mux wired now. Hang in there, once you get it working you'll like it. Cheers Barry
I flew yesterday to test the MUX. I now have Pressure Altitude displayed on echo Monitor but no GPS Altitude. Before the MUX, I had the opposite - GPS Altitude but no Pressure Altitude. Looks like I traded problems. PAPR request failed to generate a report. I have SKYFYX – EXT connected to Pin 7 on the MUX 9-Pin connector, COM2 rate – 115200, and COM2 Input Protocol – NMEA.

Should I have the GPS connected directly to Pin 6 of the echo and bypass the MUX for GPS in?
EAA #499867

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Old 06-12-2019, 07:42 PM

I hope this is my last post in this thread accept perhaps to help others as needed.

Today I followed barryrv10’s suggestion to divorce the WAAS GPS data link from the MUX cable and hard wire it to the echoUAT. Worked a charm – now reporting GPS and Pressure Altitude on the echo Monitor. I did a flight and passed PAPR 100%. So, I now have a hybrid wiring scheme where the MUX cable brings the transponder pressure altitude into the echoUAT and the SKYFYX – EXT GPS that was connected to Pin 7 on the MUX 9-Pin connector is now wired directly to Pin 6 of the Molex echo connector and bypasses the MUX entirely.

I emailed KURT at uAvionix this morning to get his take on this before moving wires around and he wasn’t sure if it would work. Kurt said hundreds of installations with my same equipment list are working well in the field with transponder “sniffing”. I emailed him back after passing PAPR and told him perhaps uAvionix should include this wiring option with the installation instructions in the MUX cable kit.

I’m super happy to have this ADS-B finally functioning correctly and passing PAPR. I’ve been dick’n with this since November. I was beginning to think I wasn’t going to meet the 2020 mandate.
EAA #499867

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Old 06-22-2019, 03:24 AM

Default Progress, but still no MUX

I discovered that there are three distinct pieces of software in the echo that needed updating. Turns out I had only updated one of them previously.
That got me traffic and wx on the Hxr!
The other learning is that when the echo software on my phone says “device updated”, it may well be lying. Turning on airplane mode to disable cellular data may help reduce this problem.
Now if I reconfigure to use transponder monitor, and set com1 to gdl 90 tx/wx, I do in fact get everything working — at least when the transponder is replying.
Configured as noted in my prior attachments, though, still no baro or squak code coming over serial through the mux.
I checked the inputs to the mux and saw valid altitude data (ALT 00153) on the serial port from the Hxr. I saw data (not recognizable text, but repeating patterns of symbols) on the serial port from the GTX327 as well.
Out of the mux, while not connected to the echo I saw only a series of about 10 uAW sequences at startup, then nothing.
Anybody able to give me sny guidance on the GTX327 Remote data format so I can conclusively establish its output is correct? Baud/parity? Expected data structure?
It sure seems like the mux just isn’t outputting the combined data stream, but I’ve tried two others at this point. Am I that unlucky?
I’d consider building my own mux if I had the gtx327 data format and knew what the echo needed to see out the other side!
Old 06-23-2019, 08:17 PM

Default Solved. Everything finally working.

Barry, thanks for posting all your settings again in detail. One minor detail jumped out at me and proved to be the final piece of the puzzle: Baro data from the HXR at 9600 baud!
My final issue turned out to be that I was providing the altitude data from the HXR to the MUX at too high a baud rate. By moving the altitude output to a different serial port that I could slow down to 9600 baud, the mux started working!
The mux talks to the Echo at 115200, but it apparently does NOT want to hear from the EFIS at that high a rate!
In my case, I had wired up the input from the Echo to the EFIS as IN on serial 3 of the EFIS, while using the OUT on serial 3 of the EFIS to send baro data to the Echo. This made for a pretty picture when I drew it up and was easy to remember. The problem is that the IN and OUT sides of a given serial port run at the same baud. So when I set the IN to be ADSB at 115200 (necessary for Tfc/Wx), it resulted in the baro data being delivered too fast.
Moving the baro output to previously unused serial 4 on the EFIS and setting to 9600 baud did the trick.
Thanks all!