VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-18-2019, 02:53 PM

Default Swapping ADS-B transmitter between 2 aircraft

I need to equip 2 aircraft with ADS-B out. One of them is my RV, and the other, a manned hydrogen balloon, is only flown once or twice per year. I'm thinking of having compliant position sources, antennae, transponders, and harnesses in each aircraft, and simply moving the ADS-B unit itself. This should be pretty simple if I locate it someplace accessible.

Any gotchas to this plan I haven't thought of?

I'm currently leaning toward the uAvionix Echo, simply due to cost. Registration, aircraft type, and other settings are easily reconfigured via wireless connection to a tablet, so the thinking would be that I would have a list of settings to change when moving between aircraft. Position would come from a GNS430W in the RV, and a SkyFYX in the balloon. Each aircraft already has a Garmin transponder. Might not be able to do international flights with 978 MHz UAT transmitter. Planning to port data to AFS4500.

Noah F, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men… for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-18-2019, 03:06 PM

Default Not required in the balloon?

I know aircraft without engine-driven electrical systems are exempt --- why does the balloon require it?

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 04-18-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSIM View Post
aircraft without engine-driven electrical systems are exempt --- why does the balloon require it?
Great question! These flights are hundreds to thousands of miles and go for multiple days through / over all kinds of airspace. So primarily need it so I don't splat on the windshield of an airliner some dark night while my copilot is flying and I'm sleeping.

Noah F, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men… for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-19-2019, 07:44 AM

Smile Great reason!

Had not thought about that scenario!
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 04-19-2019, 08:13 AM

I know this can't be done with GA aircraft because it requires a 337 with I/A sign-off after installation. If proper transponder/ADS-B ground test equipment is not available, another 337 is required to prove it passed the FAA validation during a post installation operational flight evaluation (OFE). I supposed you could move the equipment, in this case, and re-do the paperwork each time.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

Last edited by Raymo : 04-19-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
I know this can't be done with GA aircraft because it requires a 337 with I/A sign-off after installation.
Both aircraft are experimental, does that apply here?

Noah F, RV-7A

Old 04-19-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
Both aircraft are experimental, does that apply here?
The 337 does not apply to EAB. I don't know what the regs say around moving equipment but I would think the FAA expects it to be a permanent installation. You'd certainly have to update the tail number and ICAO hex code with every swap, but that isn't difficult.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 04-19-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
Great question! These flights are hundreds to thousands of miles and go for multiple days through / over all kinds of airspace. So primarily need it so I don't splat on the windshield of an airliner some dark night while my copilot is flying and I'm sleeping.
That’s a very good reason!
Old 04-19-2019, 06:52 PM

Noah,
That should work as the echo UAT transceiver is a standalone unit. You can easily mount it on the same ground plane as the UAT antenna in the balloon. It should be easily ported to either aircraft. I recently installed the same unit on the inboard wing inspection panel.

TMX0360, Pmags, CS
Bridgewater, MA
KPYM
Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 PM

I'm not sure how high you fly the balloon, but in the flight levels, 978Mhz UATs aren't legal ADS-B systems. For the flight levels you'll want a 1090Mhz system.