Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-12-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
If you purchase struts that end up being too strong, try one strong one on the pilots side only..... providing you only open and close your canopy from this side. Doing this allows you to install a much stronger strut to hold up the canopy without causing the canopy to twist.

Keep in mind the increased closed pressure on the forward strut mount will need to be braced.
This is the RV-14 forum. The canopy struts function in an entirely different way than on the other side by side RV's

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 04-21-2019, 08:56 AM

One of my struts has apparently given up its gas, happened overnight.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!
Old 05-23-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
... I leave my canopy in the open position in the hangar under the belief it reduces "wear" on the struts.
Just wondering if keeping the canopy open when the aircraft is not in use is common practice? Is this recommended by anyone with data to extend the life of the springs? I finally have my aircraft tucked away in her own hangar and was struggling with whether to leave the canopy open or not. What about spiders and dust?
RV-8A N306R #82456 Bought/Sold
RV-14 N327RT #140347 Slow Built/Flying
TBolt IO-390, Dual PMAGS, Hartzell composite, Dual HDX, GTN-650
Phase 1 Complete 4/17/2019
Old 05-23-2019, 11:03 AM

Cool strut ends

What ever struts you use be shure it has a metal NOT plastic ends
Old 05-23-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
... I leave my canopy in the open position in the hangar under the belief it reduces "wear" on the struts.
Just hope one of the struts doesn't give out ... that canopy will slam down and sure to damage something.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!
Old 05-23-2019, 12:45 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
Mine is a RV-14A, so I don't have the deck angle problem, but the original struts are going strong after 2 years. I leave my canopy in the open position in the hangar under the belief it reduces "wear" on the struts.
I have a different model (RV-6) but as a general rule I never turn my back on the plane with the canopy open.....just too high a risk to run if something happens and it slams shut. My RV-6 is twenty years old and the struts have been replaced three times.

If the canopy needs to remain open, cut a length of fuel hose to fit between the strut and longeron, Slit it and place over the strut rod so it acts as a safety.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 05-23-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:09 PM

Default This is not a possability on a 14 or 14A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
I have a different model (RV-6) but as a general rule I never turn my back on the plane with the canopy open.....just too high a risk to run if something happens and it slams shut. My RV-6 is twenty years old and the struts have been replaced three times.

If the canopy needs to remain open, cut a length of fuel hose to fit between the strut and longeron, Slit it and place over the strut rod so it acts as a safety.
14s have a totally different system. I done leave mine open if I can avoid it, even during pre-flight or fueling. Open to get in or out only. A couple of slams shut with only minor injuries and no damage to airplane and Iím convinced closed is the only option.
Kit #140329
Old 05-25-2019, 11:32 PM

The Struts can be reconditioned/refilled and the N can be increased to your specifications, within reason. No first hand experience but have been told that the struts receive their charge through the piston end when they are enclosed in a sealed chamber