What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old Crow

panhandler1956

Well Known Member
Anyone have any good pics of the RV8 'Old Crow'? See example below. I saw the airplane at OSH, but was without a camera when he had the canopy cover off.

I am interested in some the cool details such as tilt panels, throttle quadrant relocation and canopy crank. I also love the sloped windshield. Looks like it was built by Lyle Hefel and from what I can tell he has built a number of RVs.

479_RVDay2008_031.jpg

Last edited:
So cool...

You dads out there can appreciate this. My 6yr. old son and I just finished a P-51 model this week. The decals were of the Old Crow. When I saw these pictures this morning, I called him in the office. I wish I could've gotten the look on his face to post here.....priceless!

Brent- Here's some pics that I got. Was able to talk to owner/builder and he was nice enough to open canopy and answer questions. I am also building an -8 and am planning a warbird paint scheme. Beautiful airplane!!!

Most excellent!

Jim,
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing those. I can't decide if it is worth it to move the throttle quadrant. I guess I need to find an -8 to set in.
Regards,

Need to say a word about Lyle

For those of you who haven't seen Lyle's work up close, you are really missing something. Every one of his planes are truly works of art - not complicated, but really, really well done. He does all his own work, including painting. If you study one small area you will see amazing things - pick any area of the plane. One of his planes won grand champion homebuilt in 2001, although all of his are hard to beat.

I see he broke down and put glass in this latest one's panel!

Did I mention he is a super nice guy also?

I am certain that he would be world champion if the contest were goodness of plane times number of said good planes. He must be at around six or so remarkable RV's by now.

Repeat award winner

For those of you who haven't seen Lyle's work up close, you are really missing something. Every one of his planes are truly works of art - not complicated, but really, really well done. He does all his own work, including painting. If you study one small area you will see amazing things - pick any area of the plane. One of his planes won grand champion homebuilt in 2001, although all of his are hard to beat.

I see he broke down and put glass in this latest one's panel!

Did I mention he is a super nice guy also?

I am certain that he would be world champion if the contest were goodness of plane times number of said good planes. He must be at around six or so remarkable RV's by now.

Alex,
You're right on looks like Old Crow brought home a bronze Lindy! http://www.airventure.org/2008/8sun3/awards.html

From what I saw he deserves it! The airplane was incredibly striking!

Last edited:
Hey Brent,
For what its worth I am a 5'10" guy and I have the Lyle style throttle quad and in my opinion it is absolutely worth it much much more comfortable.
Kirk
Next time I am in Ohio I can let you try it out if you like

Jim,
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing those. I can't decide if it is worth it to move the throttle quadrant. I guess I need to find an -8 to set in.
Regards,

Absolutely!

Kirk,
I'd love to take you up on the offer. I'll watch for a fly-out and see if I can catch up with ya.
Thanks!

Brent,
You are one of the local builders I have not
been able to take to an OVRV UFO yet.
Let me know when you want to meet up
with Kirk.
Tom

Canopy crank? P51 style?

Early in the thread it was mentioned that it had a canopy crank....

I have heard of such on a -8 but detailed photos have yet to bubble up to my knowledge.

There was a really goodlooking purple and black -8 posted for sale a couple of years ago in the Northeast that allegedly had such an arrangement....

Details anyone?????

Hefel crank and throttle quad

For those interested, I checked out the Hefel built RV today mentioned in the previous post that was allegedly in the North East. It is in the Northeast; way up in Northern Maine. It has the modified throttle quad and the hand crank canopy that I was interested in. I'm 6-2, and really like the location of the throttle and the canopy crank looked really simple. I took several detailed pics. I'll try to post them here or feel free to email if you are interested; I can send them.

Lyle's pipe decals

2sb5yc9.jpg
/[/IMG]
Lyle had these decals made up, he reads the forums every day, I'm sure he will see this. The decals on my plane came from Lyle

I, for one, would be very interested in seeing the details of the throttle quadrant and canopy crank in Old Crow!

Back