What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 rudder / VS alignment question

cacflyer

Friend
I have emailed Vans support today, but also wanted to get some feedback here on an issue I have hanging the rudder. When the rod end bearings are set for the called out dimensions on DWG 7 for the space between the rudder R-802-PP web spar and the center of the bearing, the rudder does not clear the top of the VS, it contacts at the most forward point of the rudder with the VS. Significant adjustment to the rod end bearings, top and bottom is required, so that these two are no longer in tolerance as called out in DWG 7.

I know part of the issue, if not all the root cause is the rudder top R-713 was installed a bit off, as the trailing skin was slightly above the rudder skin, required very minor filing.

While waiting advice from Vans, I sure would appreciate hearing from folks that might have seen this issue, and what you did to resolve. I did not build the rudder, came with purchase, but I sure am tempted to just order the rudder parts from Vans and build anew...

On a long shot, I have a really nice RV7 rudder, I built at an RV builders class in GA, if someone wants to trade a nice 8 rudder for a 7.

Got any pics of the problem? If you do post or send them so I can see the problem, I am not sure but the 7 and 8 rudder may be the same.

Bird

I think I have this sorted...

Putting a straight edge on the rivet line for the top line of rivets in common with the 801PP rudder skin, the counter balance rib and skin... It is not a straight line...

If someone could put a straight edge on their rudder and please confirm these rivets are in fact supposed to be in a straight line. - thank you,

An update on my rudder alignment issue...

Took some pics and sent to Van's support. Received a call from Sterling, checked the VS alignment to make sure it is straight, and a string cleanly passes through the rudder hinge brackets on the VS. Very relieved to find all is well with the VS.

Decided to build a new rudder, ordered from Van's and received this last week, already started assembly. While I was waiting for delivery, I disassembled the rudder, first by drilling out the rivets for the counter balance skin, then removing the top rib to find blue plastic on the skin hidden behind the rudder skin. Also found blue plastic under the counter balance skin rivets. Drilled out the remaining rivets (less stiffeners) without much care to check the inside skins, was surprised to find very acceptable work. It's as if two different people built the rudder.

I also checked the top rib of the rudder, it has quite a bend front to back which accounts for all of the alignment issues relative to the VS.

Boy am I glad I am building a new rudder !!! .. Newish pics posted at mykitlog.com/cacflyer

Btw, shooting for Feb 2015 first flight... We shall see... Lol

Back