What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT prop

We have an MT 3 blade on an IO-360 in an RV7.

Superb...

Not the fastest - heck, maybe at least 5kts slow !

Super smooth, stunning acceleration, very good slowing down.

I am very biased but love, love, love our prop.

My O-360 A1AD RV-4 also has a 3 blade MT that I love due to excellent take off performance from my short grass field as well as great climb performance. For aerobatics and formation flights, the breaking effect is equally pleasing.

Due to grass field operations combined with short legs, I got mine shortened to 178cm compared to the "normal" 183cm diameter (72"). This was supposed to be beneficial to both ground clearance as well as top speed..

But I heaven't tried any other props, so I may be happily living in oblivient ignorance...:rolleyes:

Morten Raustein
Norway

I have the three blade MT and IO-360 on my RV-8. I love the prop. It is the smoothest prop I have ever had on an aircraft. It has terrific acceleration and feels like an air brake when you slow it down for landings. I have not tried the two blade prop on the RV-8, but I had the Hartzell two blade on a previous IO-360 powered RV-7. They are both good propellers but I prefer the MT three blade. I don't care about a few knots less top end speed. The turbine like smoothness does it for me.

We have an MT 3 blade on an IO-360 in an RV7.

Superb...

Not the fastest - heck, maybe at least 5kts slow !

Super smooth, stunning acceleration, very good slowing down.

I am very biased but love, love, love our prop.

Agreed. Not the fastest on the top end but climbs like a cat on a screen door. If I pull the nose up at Vy, it's parked about 20 degrees nose up and just stays there, like an elevator ride.

Smooth? Like a jet engine...

Back