What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel line and elbow fitting

riseric

Well Known Member
Patron
Question concerning AN elbows.
I'm looking to put 2 of this type of elbow fitting on an Andair Duplex Fuel Valve that has flared 3/8 male outlets.

Female, 90? to male flared 3/8 tubing, as in this photo.
Anyone has the AN reference?
fuelvalve.jpg

And I need to run two fuel lines across the cabin. One feed line from the tank to the valve and the other, return from the valve to the tank.
The mid-section has one set of platenuts for one line only as per plans.
fuel_line_right_tank.jpg

What options do I have?
What did others that installed a fuel return do?
Does a "2 stage" Adel clamp exist?

Many thanks for your replies!!!

Cheers

yep---but he's in France and I dont think that Jegs or Summit has a branch in France. Goodridge in England has similar fittings, gee just about everyone does!
Tom

The mid-section has one set of plate nuts for one line only as per plans.
You can simply have 1 adel clamp pointing down as per plans and one pointing up using the same hole and plate nut. Voila, dual line.

If the picture is your airplane I guess its too late but better than getting those fittings you are looking for would be to use hoses with elbow fittings.
Just a thought, since I see braided hoses in that picture.
I am sure Tom can fix you up with hoses of any kind.

Eric--Spruce part # 04-02113, male /female -6 AN elbow.
LOTS of different ways to plumb this.
Tom

Thanks Tom, that's exactly what I was looking for !!!
I could order them through Spruce CAN as I'm going there in a week or so.

Otherwise, I could use your services for a couple of flexible lines with similar elbows to leave the valve for a foot or so, then I could connect them to "normal" 3/8 tubing... Or all the way to the gascolators in the wing roots then tanks...
;)
(don't forget that I'm building to CAN specs that require gascos)

I find that getting the tubes bent at the right places with the right angles is somewhat like a voodoo seance...
Strings, coat hanger wires, safety wire, tape, etc used but I still am off with my tubes...
More like trial and error until I get it more or less right for me... :confused:

Those fittings are not technically AN fittings, so there isn't an AN number for them, but they are sold by Jegs and Summit Racing. Click here http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-921106erl

Thanks Mark, I saw those... But wanting to order for Canada or Europe, I could not find a corresponding #.
And I just found out that there's a European Spruce !!! :-o http://www.aircraftspruce.eu/

You can simply have 1 adel clamp pointing down as per plans and one pointing up using the same hole and plate nut. Voila, dual line.

Only problem that I see here is that I will have the elevator push-rod just above.
I don't know if it will clear it but I'll measure this and consider this option,
thanks!!

If the picture is your airplane I guess its too late but better than getting those fittings you are looking for would be to use hoses with elbow fittings.
Just a thought, since I see braided hoses in that picture.
I am sure Tom can fix you up with hoses of any kind.
No, it's not my airplane... And yes, I will consider hoses with with elbow fittings.

Still looking forward for more suggestions about the double fuel line !!! :cool:

Last edited:
You can simply bend a gentle curve into the fuel line to clear the pushrod.
I had 2 fuel lines along that section of the bulkhead although one of them was a 1/4" return line. The distance between those adel clamps is very short and can easily support 2 fuel lines. A curved aluminum tube up or down to avoid the pushrod is not a concern at all. You can do this with your fingers, no tools needed for gentle curves.

Photo%2520%252031.JPG

All those lines are hand bent without tools. None of the aluminum lines are collapsed or marred and service has been flawless for 300 hours.
Tube bending tools are great in the right place but are often awkward and in some instances damaging the aluminum tubes.
Gentle hand bending is an excellent way to persuade an aluminum fuel line into submission.

Last edited:
You can simply bend a gentle curve into the fuel line to clear the pushrod.
Thanks Ernst I will try your suggestion!!

Voodoo seance!!! I like that!!
Send me an email and I'll help anyway I can.
Tom
Email sent, thank you

Andair sells a variety of fittings that might help you.

http://www.andair.co.uk/category/accessories-fittings/

Just a bystander here.... no connection.

Dave

Dave, I will consider changing the fitting, thank you for the good idea.

Back