What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot tube

SHF

Just to make sure, the pitot bulkhead union exits outward through a hole drilled in the bottom of 806-L-1 main spar?
As far as I see the drawing and my measurements confirm this. Just feels creepy drilling a hole in the spar. :rolleyes:

Measure 10 times, drill once! And then order new parts....

Yes, that's the way it is on the -7, but before you commit, give some thought to upgrading to a pitot tube/mast arrangement instead of the stock Van's unit. I drilled that particular hole without thinking it through, later decided I wanted to go with the Dynon pitot that includes an AOA source, and now I have an extra hole in the spar and skin to plug/patch.

maybe try a mod?

Just to make sure, the pitot bulkhead union exits outward through a hole drilled in the bottom of 806-L-1 main spar?
As far as I see the drawing and my measurements confirm this. Just feels creepy drilling a hole in the spar. :rolleyes:

Measure 10 times, drill once! And then order new parts....

Ya know, that fitting will work fine if drilled beside the spar. I also have an aversion of drilling a big hole where I strongly suspect it should not be. So, we drill the hole aft of the spar, and add a doubler for support. Piece o cake! This area is accessible thru the aileron bellcrank cover.

Likewise, we put the tie down fitting on the fwd side of the spar, and drill a hole thru the skin only. You may not have this option with pre-drilled skins?

Carry on!
Mark

yes it is through the spar, according to the dwg's, thats the way i did it

bird

I was indeed considering upgrading to a mast but thought i would drill the hole in the meantime. But I will wait until i know what it is going to look like exactly before i do so.

Thanks everybody.

That makes sense. All the various pitot mast options are mounted through a cut-out in the lower skin, not through a hole in the spar. Wait until you decide to do any drilling.

When I changed to a heated pitot tube I was shocked to find the hole in the spar as well, but apparently it is designed that way. That said, I would not drill the hole if I built the airplane. There are just too many suitable places to mount the tube. For example, I have it mounted on the lower inspection plate on both the -8 and Rocket. Works great

Back