What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFIS return

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Before the Holidays I shipped out one of my EFIS for warranty repair. I used the box I received the unit in along with all the foam shipping pads. I packed that into a larger box with bubble wrap between both boxes. I had hoped I had properly packaged my shipment as these things are quite valuable now days. Today I got my unit back in a USPS box, wrapped in bubble wrap. Nothing else protecting the screen. It seems OK as I have not fired it up but certainly surprised coming from the manufacturer. They certainly don't ship new units out that way, there must be a reason for that. Hopefully mine will fire up after lunch when I try it out.

Last edited:
Before the Holidays I shipped out one of my EFIS for warranty repair. I used the box I received the unit in along with all the foam shipping pads. I packed that into a larger box with bubble wrap between both boxes. I had hoped I had properly packaged my shipment as these things are quite valuable now days. Today I got my unit back in a USPS box wrapped in bubble wrap. Nothing else protecting the screen. It seems OK as I have not fired it up but certainly surprised coming from the manufacturer. They certainly don't ship new units out that way, there must be a reason for that. Hopefully mine will fire up after lunch when I try it out.

Ok, I'll ask. What manufacturer was that careless with your expensive EFIS?

You received a usps box with bubble wrap on the outside? That is strange.

That's what he said, but I doubt that's what he meant.
As to manufacturers being careless, I doubt that, since they have to pay if it gets broken. They usually have a lot of experience in what is 'just enough' protection.

You received a usps box with bubble wrap on the outside? That is strange.

I missed a coma after the box in "my sentence". The bubble wrap was wrapped around my EFIS inside the USPS box.
I would rather not say the vendor as that could perceived as vendor bashing. Fired up the unit this afternoon and all is working fine so they must know how to ship goods.
My point to all this is how much I put into protecting the shipment out and how little was needed for the return.

I missed a coma after the box in "my sentence". The bubble wrap was wrapped around my EFIS inside the USPS box.
I would rather not say the vendor as that could perceived as vendor bashing. Fired up the unit this afternoon and all is working fine so they must know how to ship goods.
My point to all this is how much I put into protecting the shipment out and how little was needed for the return.

That does seem rather cavalier...any time I've sent equipment back for repair, it's come back to me either in the box I sent it in (usually the original shipment box) or a new box with correct "as-new" packaging.

Did you send it back to the manufacturer, or an "authorized repair shop"?

I suspect the OEM box and styrofoam shipping pads will be used to market a "NIB" unit on Ebay.

I ordered (2) Whelen PAR 46 LED Landing lights

from a third party vendor ---- the bulbs were in zip lock bags inside a padded envelope --- could not believe they made it through USPS undamaged.

Ron

Back