What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel upgrade

I'm looking for some advice on a panel upgrade. I recently bought a RV9A and live in Eastern New Mexico, right on the West Texas border, I'm looking for someone local or within a reasonable distance to install a dynon skyview or garmin g3x, still deciding on which. I would like to find somewhere that could install the whole system with autopilot servos, and the efis with probes and all. I'm not sure if can just update the current panel and remove some steam gauges or better to just install new panel, but hoping to find someone close that has the RV experience to know which is best and do it all for reasonable price for me. Thanks a bunch for any and all info.

Take it to Walt at Northwest Regional (52F) He's an advertiser here, and a darn nice guy to boot!

I agree, "Take it to Walt at Northwest Regional (52F)". I have had Walt do several things for me. I have not been disappointed.

I'm about 125 miles east of Clovis, and I too have used Walt. He is a pleasure to do business with and his price was very reasonable.

I appreciate the customer feedback, thanks folks!

Please feel free to give me a call or better yet, stop by and we can discuss. I currently have an RV7 and an RV8 in the shop undergoing full Garmin panel upgrades.

You can also have a look at my website for more info and some examples of previous panel upgrades.

Walt

Last edited:
I think the OP is wanting to shop it out. But you're correct about the AFS QB Panels.... lots of happy people behind them :)

Thankyou for the feedback, I'm trying to keep my cost down as low as possible, with getting one single screen, I do like the plug and play panels my only issue is I've never have done my own electrical work on a airplane so as far as installing the panel and putting in the auto pilot servos and the engine monitoring probes I think would be out of my comfort zone. I'm sure I could figure it out, I'm just not to educated at how hard it really is, and all the avionics shops I've talked to are saying around 15,000 for them to install everything. For a RV that just sounds crazy to me. So any other info anyone may have on installing the plug and play panels or if anyone has done it and has pics of the process or videos would be awesome. I will give Walt a call until another option arises. Thanks again to all.

SteinAir

Give SteinAir Avionics a call and talk with them about them supplying the harness and you doing the install. They do great work and the install I,m doing going along well on my RV12 Good Luck

and all the avionics shops I've talked to are saying around 15,000 for them to install everything. For a RV that just sounds crazy to me.

In all honesty I thought that was crazy...

Then more than a month passed into my install of a g3x touch, with almost all the bells and whistles...as well as rectifying a good deal of pre-existing sub par wiring...then I understood where the "high" quotes came from.

Best of luck.

Paul

Thankyou for the feedback, I'm trying to keep my cost down as low as possible, with getting one single screen, I do like the plug and play panels my only issue is I've never have done my own electrical work on a airplane so as far as installing the panel and putting in the auto pilot servos and the engine monitoring probes I think would be out of my comfort zone. I'm sure I could figure it out, I'm just not to educated at how hard it really is, and all the avionics shops I've talked to are saying around 15,000 for them to install everything. For a RV that just sounds crazy to me. So any other info anyone may have on installing the plug and play panels or if anyone has done it and has pics of the process or videos would be awesome. I will give Walt a call until another option arises. Thanks again to all.

I think you'll be surprised at how easy a Quick Panel is to install. If you can follow drawings, Strip wire, and crimp pins you should have no problem installing one of our panels. Installing the engine sensors is just a matter of removing your existing engine probes, and replacing them with our probes. After the probes are installed you'll remove the existing sensor wiring and replace it with our premade harness. Once you have the wiring run you'll cut the wire to the proper length and either install ring terminals or fast on terminals depending on the probe. Give us a call and we can discuss more in depth what is involved with installing the Quick Panel, Or fly it up to oregon even I'd install it for $15000 :D

all the avionics shops I've talked to are saying around 15,000 for them to install everything. For a RV that just sounds crazy to me.

$15,000...just for the installation? If so, you're talking to the wrong shops.

And Jeffrey is correct. I just finished the installation of an AFS 5600 touch with engine monitor, Dynon transponder, ADSb transceiver, autopilot, and backup EFIS, using the AFS Advanced Control Module. My previous experience was an EAA workshop on electrical systems. This install was not a small task, and I learned a lot in the process. But it can be done. It's helpful to have some knowledgeable friends who can look over your shoulder occasionally. And the support at AFS is excellent.

Jim

N444JT
N37PK

Last edited:
Back