What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Resistor for wig-wag using Squadron Pros

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of upgrading my landing/taxi lights from Duckworks halogens to Baja Designs Squadron Pros. My B&C SS1 flasher works just fine wig-wagging my two 55W halogen bulbs but it does not appear that it will wig-wag the Squadron Pros that only draw 40W/2.9A each.

For anyone whose electrical math skills are better than mine (this includes probably anyone here on VAF), can you tell me what in-line resistor size I would need to make my B&C flasher think my Squadron Pros are pulling 55W? Would want the resistor to run as cool as reasonably possible and am not really too concerned about about saving an amp or two, so I'd rather error on the conservative side.

Yes, I am aware I could get a wig wag flasher designed for LED's, but would prefer to keep my existing wiring/switch setup.

Thanks for suggestions.

Last edited:
i would have to look at the circuits but i would guess that the led driver will not work with the wig wag. led drivers are designed around a constant current supply, not voltage.

bob burns
RV-4 N82rb

An inline (series) resistor won't help. Your flasher likely works by heating a series element inside the unit, and the LEDs don't draw enough current to heat the resistor (current is the same, everywhere in a series circuit). A series resister will only reduce the current even more.

You'd need to *parallel* resistors across the LED + & - terminals of both lights, driving your current back to previous levels. You can 'back into' the value & wattage rating using Ohm's Law & the 55W rating of the old lamps, but....

Charlie

OK. Maybe more complicated than I thought. Maybe I will need to go with another flasher.

I used a flasher like this: https://www.amazon.com/CEC-Industri...ocphy=9031152&hvtargid=pla-634754806237&psc=1

The wiring is slightly different from the AeroElectric diagram. A ground must be provided for the flasher.

Ed Holyoke

That's definitely an affordable alternative, Ed. Can you elaborate on what your switch configuration is? (I'm using 3 on/off switches, one each for taxi, landing, and wig wag: would this flasher work with three switches?)

Thanks.

I am going to try using a BUSSMANN 232 Electronic Flasher for the Baja Design LED lights. I will use a switch to bypass the flasher for when I don't want the lights to flash. When I try it I will post how the test goes, good or bad.

:cool:

Last edited:
OK. Maybe more complicated than I thought. Maybe I will need to go with another flasher.

That's definitely an affordable alternative, Ed. Can you elaborate on what your switch configuration is? (I'm using 3 on/off switches, one each for taxi, landing, and wig wag: would this flasher work with three switches?)

Thanks.

Yes, you need a flasher made for LED lights, like the one posted above. However, it will require a bit of rewiring. Incandescent flashers can alternate by bouncing a relay. An LED will need a circuit to control the flashing.

Larry

I've got two 2-10 switches; OFF-WIG WAG-ON. I don't have my schematic handy, but both switches need to be in the center for wig wag and both up for landing lights. Each light will be solid on when it's switch is all the way up. It worked out that if the left switch is center, it flashes whether or not the right switch is center. I think of it as a left turn signal while taxiing. ;-)

It could probably be done with three switches. The main difference with the electronic flasher is that it doesn't get it's ground path through the lights.

Ed Holyoke

Thanks.

I have a pair of Squadron Pro's in my wingtips. I wig-wag them with a unit specifically designed for wig-wagging lights, be they incandescent or LED.

http://www.periheliondesign.com/wigwagdmnl.htm

It comes in either the format as shown in the link above with built-in toggle switch, or as a remote-mounted unit which would use your existing toggle switch. It is absolutely electrically silent in switching the Squadron Pro lights. I operate the Squadron Pro's 100% of the time that the aircraft engine is running, switching from wig-wag to constant-on only for night approaches. I'm exceedingly impressed with the wig wag module from Perihelion Designs.

It works

I'm planning to use the Crazed Pilot wig-wag flasher with Squadron Pros.

https://www.crazedpilot.com/led-strobe-wig-wag-and-landing-light-controller/

I am just now in the process of wiring it, so I can't verify that it will work, but many others have reported that it will. It's certainly affordable and easy to install.

Update: I got my Squadron Pros for Christmas, hooked them up and they work fine. Steady on or wig-wag with a switch flip, and REALLY bright!

I use a DPDT switch (On-off-On) with the center off and up for lights and down for wig wag. Your light output will be fed from both your On mode switch AND two legs on the flasher. You need to be sure that you think through the power flows with different switch configuratoins to avoid strange behavior.

I posted a single switch schematic for someone a year ago.

Larry

Back