What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine question

AX-O

Well Known Member
Instead of derailing a for sale ad for an engine, I will ask the question here. I keep thinking about purchasing a new engine and saw a 340 for sale but it had this statement on the ad

?it produces 180 HP on takeoff with recommendation to reduce power for cruise.?

What does that mean?

Normally it means that it is not rated for continuous WOT.

Could this be an engine from a CubCrafter?

Instead of derailing a for sale ad for an engine, I will ask the question here. I keep thinking about purchasing a new engine and saw a 340 for sale but it had this statement on the ad

What does that mean?

I asked Van at OSH some years back about hanging an 0360 on a 9, his response was go ahead if you want to fly around at partial power.

That's a general statement but I think it means the design speed limit of the aircraft may be exceeded at WOT.

What it says on the tin!

Many engines are rated for limited max power period. The WAM 120 was rated for full power for 5 mins, 95% power continuous.

Its not a problem in flight in your 4 after 5 mins you will be at more tha 8000 ft solo by which time the engine will be down to perhaps 75% power because of the altitude. If you go fixed pitch you will rarely see max power from your engine. Only a constant speed will allow you to release all them horses around sea level.

But if it is an engine from CubCrafters, the power is to be reduced to 80 hp after 5 minutes.

This engine was developed to get around the weight limit for SLSA, which is based on maximum continuous hp.

“it produces 180 HP on takeoff with recommendation to reduce power for cruise.”

What does that mean?
Axel, I have 300 hours on my IO-340. I don't necessarily fly at WOT unless I am doing speed tests but I also do not worry about doing so if I need/want to. I am sure that statement has an awful lot to do with the Light Sport rules concerning the speed limits for Light Sport airplanes.

Normally it means that it is not rated for continuous WOT.

Could this be an engine from a CubCrafter?
Mel, I don't think it is from a Carbon Cub. They are putting carbureted O340's on those. However, the Carbon Cubs do have placards stating the 5 minutes at WOT. I am sure Russ can give us more facts about his engine. In my case I went to America's Aircraft Engines (AAE) and spent two days building my engine in their shop. I know that for several years now AAE has been giving a substantial savings on a new IO-340 as a raffle prize at LOE. I Believe that might be where Russ got his engine but that is just my guess. Perhaps Russ will fill us in on that info.

Last edited:
I talked to ECI at Sun N Fun. They said it can make 180HP continuously, but their published information says 80HP because it is used on the Carbon Cub. They can't publish one doc for the Carbon Cub and another for other aircraft with the same engine.

Jesse is correct that the IO-340 can produce continuous 180HP but ECI's published recommendation is to reduce power after takeoff. If you run a Fixrd
Pitch prop and are above 3000 msl you will have already reduced power anyway.

Russ

What does that mean?

Back