What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Considering to change to a RV-12 during build

magiccarpet

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all

I know this might sound a bit weired and it should have been sorted out many month and $ before. But it is how it is. And I am curious to know if other builders went through the same.

I am quite far along with my -7 emp. kit. HS, VS, and rudder are done while I work on the elevators.
Time has now arrived to spend lots of money for QB wings and fuse. For some reason I haven't ordered it yet. I put it off and off until I finally found out why.
I am concerned that the -7 demands too many resources of me. Financial resources during build and during operation. Builder's complexity skills/time during construction/assembly. I am asking myself if the -12 would be a better fit to me and if I would get happier with a -12 in the long run. The -12 does not cover everything of my mission goals, but still about 70%. That the -12 does not look as hot a -7, well I think I would get used to that.

Are there any builders who went through the same doubts, concerns when you already have started to build your plane? Have to switched to another model and do you regret or in contrary, are you happy to have decided that way.
Any thoughts on that are greatly appreciated in order to make up my mind.
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
I can't answer your question since I started with a RV-12 and I'm glad I did. It matches the skill and time I have perfectly. You're at just the right time to make this decision. Minimal expenditure on the RV-7 and you've acquired a lot of skill and, no doubt tools. You'll be able to really fly through the RV-12 build with the experience you've already gained.

Good luck on your decision.

Jim

PS: Here's a thought. Hang onto the RV-7 empennage and build the RV-12. You might just want to go back and continue on the RV-7 later. Maybe as a slow build since you'll already have a flying RV. ;)

After nearly 5 years into my RV-12 build I would recommend sticking with the RV-7 unless you are going to a 100% E-LSA version. I went with a different engine and 100% custom electrical/avionics that has added at least 3 years to the build and put the total hours somewhere near a quickbuild RV. The cost with your -7 is a wash, there is no inexpensive version of the -12. Actually, the best deal would be to buy/sponsor a Teen Flight RV-12 build.

You may want to consider looking at the RV-14, which is taking more of an RV-12 approach to the kit design and construction, it would better match the RV-7 mission capabilities. If I was making the decision today, based on build time, $s, and performance, I would go with the RV-14.

John Salak
RV-12 #120116/N896HS

I started a 9 10+ years ago, life got in the way and now I'm building a 12. You're skills will cross over, although since I have a pneumatic squeezer I haven't bucked a rivet yet and am well into the fuse kit.

The only difference is the metal is thinner so you need to be a little more gentle when removing rivets, etc. Of course I've never had to do that! :rolleyes:

Love the 12 build. Everything, is simpler, easier and better laid out.

Bob

I went through the same thing. I completed the -7 tail kit and got halfway through one of the wings when I decided to switch to the -12. For me, the issues were time to build, total cost of ownership, the fact that I didn't have a reliable rivet bucking buddy nearby, and the fact that I was a student pilot at the time. I had originally chosen the -7 because it's a sexier plane but after flying my -12 for almost a year, I have no regrets. I'm sure the -7 would still be sitting unfinished had I stuck with it.

Now I miss building so maybe I'll start over with a -7 or a -14.

When you walk the line at Oshkosh...which plane draws your eye? Build that one. It's my firm belief that you have to build the plane that inspires you. The metal work is the easy part...when you get to the difficult/irritating stuff it's that inspiration that keeps you from being one of the many whose "quickbuild stage" kit is up for sale.

When you walk the line at Oshkosh...which plane draws your eye? Build that one. It's my firm belief that you have to build the plane that inspires you. The metal work is the easy part...when you get to the difficult/irritating stuff it's that inspiration that keeps you from being one of the many whose "quickbuild stage" kit is up for sale.

I labored over this very decision for years (well, actually other life events gave me plenty of time to think about it). In the end, Bill is right. Which model gives you the best feeling when you picture yourself sitting and flying in it. That's the one you want.

Another consideration, if you think that the -7 will cost you more, is that the quicker build of the -12 will drain your bank account sooner. I was able to pay as I went with my -9A slow build. Four and a half years later, its done, paid for and I probably spent just as much as I would have on a faster build -12.

I am concerned that the -7 demands too many resources of me. Financial resources during build and during operation. Builder's complexity skills/time during construction/assembly. I am asking myself if the -12 would be a better fit to me and if I would get happier with a -12 in the long run. The -12 does not cover everything of my mission goals, but still about 70%. That the -12 does not look as hot a -7, well I think I would get used to that.

I didn't switch during building, so can't answer your questions from experience, but when deciding what to build my choice quickly narrowed down to the -9 or the -12. I had no concerns about being able to complete either one, but from a simple comparison it was clear that the -12 would be quicker, easier and cheaper to build (assuming a -9 with all new components), and cheaper to operate. It had other advantages for me as a first time builder, such as being a complete, integrated kit with wiring and avionics included, engine designed for mogas, etc, plus a known cost, great plans, one-person build, removable wings, recreational pilot capable if necessary, great visibility and RV flying qualities. Against that was less speed and range, lighter/less powerful aircraft and less load capacity, but not much else. Realistically, I knew that my flying would be mostly local or short 2-3hr trips, but I also wanted the ability to fly long distances (2,000-2,500mi) with reasonable speed and comfort with a passenger and some baggage. I'd agree that any of the tail-draggers win hands down when it comes to looks, but then I think the -12 is a good looking plane too and it ticked all the important boxes. It was a simple decision for me, but as we all have different priorities and constraints, only you can really answer those questions.

Back