What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS Front Spar Doubler - for kits in process

jmcanty3

I bought my emp kit last year and am finally getting around to assembly. I'm kind of glad I didn't build it sooner, since the SB for the HS front spar doublers would have prompted me to remove my skins, like so many here have done already.

I plan to install the doublers even though I could build without. Since the instructions for the SB kit installation are written from the perspective of an already-built tail, I'm finding myself scratching my head more than usual to move on with building (ie edge distances are called out on items that are not yet drilled, etc...).

Has anyone installed the doublers as part of a "ground up" build (as apposed to a partial dis-assembly/ re-assembly)? If so, what was your process?

My plan is to get everything drilled as per original plans (accept 405?), then install the doubler, then rivet everything together.

billytime

I think it is optional to install the sb. If there are no problems then check it at every annual. I have the sb too but have decided to not install. I have considered installing it, I am at that point of the build. I have done no research as to what is causing the failure... Aerobatic maneuvers... HP of motor... Slip stream... This race goes to the tortoise not the hare.

SB

John
Call Vans Support. The SB instructions may have been written in to new kit manuals. If so, you could ask for those pages.

I just ordered my fuselage kit, and figure I'll have a few weeks in between finishing my wingtips and the arrival of the fuse. My empennage is sitting in a storage unit, so I plan to bring it home and perform the SB while I wait. I could leave it and just do the inspection annually, but I'd hate to have to take the tail off the plane and do it a few years down the road. By then I'll hopefully be out of practice drilling out and driving rivets. Now I can use it as an exercise in building up my skills prior to starting work on the fuse.

I think Scott posted in the original SB thread that Van's was working on the new-build instructions... That was a month ago or more, so they're probably available for the cost of a phone call.

Back