What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ethernet Switch and USB HUB for aircraft...Comments

N-Tron Switches

We use them extensively at work and recommend them often to our customers. They are robust. Do you need what they can do for you? Disclosure: We have not used this particular switch, we use mostly the 500 and 700 series switches.

Good luck!
Michael

There are indeed a number of good options out there. We've tested a number of them, some much more expensive and some cheaper. The reason we have the one we have is the variable input voltage, and also it's semi-industrialized. We ended up stocking these due to very frequent and common failures customers routinely had/have with the really cheapo ones!

Like I said, there are a number of decent options out there, but we just did the homework already and found a decent one that works at a 'reasonable' price. For USB, we haven't decided to pick any specific one just yet...but maybe in the future.

Cheers,
Stein

I initially installed a cheaper "consumer" ethernet hub for my AFS installation on my -7. It worked OK until the first time the airplane sat on the ramp on a 95 degree day and the internal temperatures exceeded the limits of the hub. It quit and I tossed it for the "semi-industrial" unit that Stein sells. No problem since!!

Thanks everyone ... i'm going to be testing both of these at a customer in there factory. Its always between 90F and 130F, so it will be a good long term test.

Back