What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffles

BobCollins(AA)

Well Known Member
I am trying to secure the baffles underneath the cylinders and I am looking for ways to use lock wire instead of the rods that came with the baffling kit from Van's. I am thinking about using plastic brake line as a shield for the lock wire. Any comments?

Last edited:
There was a post a few days ago showing something similar to plastic brake line, which had been melted by contact with the fins.

I used rods, but slipped on some fuel line intended for R/C gas engines. It's similar to silicone fuel line but a little tougher. So far no melting and it provides protection for the oil return tubes. Sorry no pics...

You can probably source some from a hobby shop, chain saw or small engine dealer...

One other trick is to use a pull rivet to rivet a small steel waser to the outside of each tab, then punch the center of the pull rivet out and then tread your safety wire through the rivet.

As mentioned, but you could also put the safety wire through a washer first the pass both ends of the safety wire through the hole and do the same on the other end. Any of these ways including the plans way can break the baffles eventually at which time you will need to rivet a doubler in or replace the part. I have also used automotive fuel line (similar to the oil drain tube adapters that connect to the case under the cylinders) for longer lasting protection.

I am trying to secure the baffles underneath the cylinders and I am looking for ways to use lock wire instead of the rods that came with the baffling kit from Van's. I am thinking about using plastic brake line as a shield for the lock wire. Any comments?

Why do you need a shield on the wire?

1zof0x0.jpg

Why do you need a shield on the wire?

1zof0x0.jpg

Wish I had a photo to show.

On my Narrow Deck O-320, the safety wire "kisses" some of the oil return tubes. The "shield" on the safety wire minimizes damage to the oil return tubes.

The photo I see above looks like the safety wire ties into the "Inter-Cylinder" baffle. I did not do mine that way. It runs from the front wrap around to the back wrap around. The photo is a very "neat" way to accomplish the same thing without needing a protection device.

Tip: A thin layer (almost transparent if using black) of "RTV" gasket compound that has been allowed to cure is a very good way to prevent fretting on the baffles where the contact a cylinder fin or another part.

The photo I see above looks like the safety wire ties into the "Inter-Cylinder" baffle. I did not do mine that way. It runs from the front wrap around to the back wrap around. The photo is a very "neat" way to accomplish the same thing without needing a protection .

Exactly. There is no reason to tie the front wrap to the rear wrap, or cross the oil tubes. Just bend the edge of the inter-cylinder plate down a bit (or add an extension) and use a short tie across each individual cylinder.

Last edited:
Back