What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak Vizion 385

Yes

I replaced my ADI II with the Vizion and never looked back. I had to add a Gemini PFD since the Vizion doesn't have a horizon.

Best,

Like Pierre, we replaced the ADI Pilot II with a Vizion 385 flat pack, then added a GRT Mini-X as our backup attitude/airspeed/altitude (+ more) indication.

Ok

I'm getting a handle on it. Seems like I'm getting a bit of "hunting". (pitch). I set the recommended starting parameters as per back of manual. I'm guessing these need tweeked. Only able to do hangar flying as weather is crappy.

Change pitch activity and micro activity until it settles down. That usually works pretty well. Also, make sure you have a good clean pitot and static connection.

Lucas gave me a hand over at trutrac. Outstanding customer service. Why can't they all be that awesome! Thx for any tips received here. I'll be back if I get into a pickle. DM

Wiring diagram for CWS

Getting ready to install my new 385 ----- the wiring diagram looks weird (to me) for the Control Wheel Switch (CWS) --- can someone take a look and tell me if it looks like the control wire for the CWS is going to ground on BOTH SIDES of the switch?

Thanks for the help,

Ron

Drawing Messup

Ron, grd on the drawing on wire from unit should not be there.
I had called just to be sure. One side of button from unit, other to
ground. Mine wired that way with no errors shown.
Have not flown with yet, but wiring good.

Bayou Bert --- thanks

Bert -- thanks much! My suspicion, but wanted to check.

Happy New Year!

Ron

The ground shown is for the shield if you use a shielded wire, which you don't need to do. Pin 3 to switch, other side to ground.

Ahhhhh!

Jesse, thanks much!

(My plane stopped at Dunnellon yesterday, for fuel --- great price!)

Happy New Year --

R.

The ground shown is for the shield if you use a shielded wire, which you don't need to do. Pin 3 to switch, other side to ground.

Thanks, Jesse. This is it. That's a shield ground if you're using shielded wire. Since that wire is outside the panel environment (usually) it is a recommendation, but is certainly not required. And I've never had anyone report any issues from NOT using shielded wire.

Question

Can anyone tell me if the vizion 385 will allow me to hand fly the pitch while it flies the localizer on an ILS approach?

I used to be able to do this with my digiflight II but I was unable to figure this out today while practicing. Still trying to get used to the new unit.

This would be a great topic/video for one of you GoPro enabled types! I don't know what it is, but I really have trouble pushing the correct button and getting the new AP to do what I expect. I'm either not pressing the round knob enough or I press the wrong one of the three.

I have the round Vizion 385 and Garmin 430 non waas.

Jim

Can anyone tell me if the vizion 385 will allow me to hand fly the pitch while it flies the localizer on an ILS approach?

I used to be able to do this with my digiflight II but I was unable to figure this out today while practicing. Still trying to get used to the new unit.

This would be a great topic/video for one of you GoPro enabled types! I don't know what it is, but I really have trouble pushing the correct button and getting the new AP to do what I expect. I'm either not pressing the round knob enough or I press the wrong one of the three.

Jim
talk with Lucas tomorrow at trutrak

Jim
I would suspect if you put the VS to 0 (not altitude hold) you might be able to do this but can't say for sure.

Jim

I don't believe it will fly the Localizer. When you turn inbound the 430 will automatically switch from GPS to VLOC because you have to use the Localizer once inside the FAF. The Vizion is only connected to the GPS portion of the 430.

Jim

Jim, Jeff's reply below is correct. The Vizion is GPS driven only, as was the Digiflight II. You're simply flying a track at that point. However, the Vizion doesn't allow you to fly only the roll axis. There is no option to turn off the pitch axis. You can use the selected vertical speed option to get you down using your VDI.

I don't believe it will fly the Localizer. When you turn inbound the 430 will automatically switch from GPS to VLOC because you have to use the Localizer once inside the FAF. The Vizion is only connected to the GPS portion of the 430.

Finished my 385 install -- Wow!

Did the test flight, this morning, after about 10 days of work ---- I had done the setup and gyro sync per instructions prior to the flight.

EVERYTHING WORKED as advertised! ----- I was concerned with so many solder exercises (25 for main connector (I filled all the connections for possible future use) + 8 for pitch servo + 7 for roll servo + 2 for "level" switch + 2 for main "on" switch) and installed Tosten stick grips so I could have a "CWS" button.

I only have an old King panel-mount GPS, so I cannot take advantage of the ARINC features. All the features I could test worked well, and flew the -6A smoothly --- it even found KCLW for me.

R.:)

Great report ! Mine is coming along well, hope to be done this weekend. I cheated and ordered the harness from stein it's really pretty. Pitot static is plumbed just need to run harness and pretty much there

Are you happy with the tosten grip and which buttons did you wire for which buttons ? That may have to be my next upgrade.

Very happy with Tosten

grips --- I have all manual trim, (which I really like) so I did not get the hat switch --- so, on the pilot side I have the -4 model -- trigger, index and the two buttons on top, one of which I made the CWS for the AP. On the passenger side I have the -2 model --- trigger and index. --- the trigger is the push-to-talk on both.

I did have to trim the control sticks, with a tubing cutter, about 3 inches. What surprised me was, I told Tosten (through Aircraft Spruce) that I had an RV-6A -- I did not realize it, at the time, but the stick diameters are different, pilot to passenger side. Tosten knew it and sent the grips with the correct diameter inserts.

I used the old stick wiring to pull the new Tosten wiring through the stick hole.

Do any of you have photos along teh way? I am going to tackle this soon with a Gemini AP. My wing servo is already installed, but I have to add the pitch servo. This is all new to me. Thanks! Andy

Pitch

Pitch is the easier servo to install. Pm me with your email for some photos

I have a question regarding the roll servo travel. Instructions say the total travel can't exceed 2.5" and I'm getting approx 2.9. Anyone else ?

Also I was able to power up today and when testing the direction of the servos they seem really knotchy, not smooth moving. Is this your experience on the preflight checkout ? Maybe they act more normal in the air ?

One more question. The cws is just an on off switch on the stick right ? Anyone feel uncomfortable with that? Accidental activation during t/o or landing seems to concern me though unlikely. I am adding autopilot check to my pretakeoff checklist.

If the travel exceeds the max allowed you either need to change the attach point, get a longer servo arm or get a capstan (torque enhancer).

It is always "jerky" like that on the ground. Not in the air.

The CWS should be a momentary switch or button on the stick, not a push-on push-off.

I'm a little confused about which gps to wire to what.

I have a garmin panel mounted gps vfr only, and a grt mini. I think I'd like to be able to control the ap via the mini but not sure which wire goes to it.

I should clarify its a mini x.

I'd like to upgrade to the mini ap at some point but the x doesn't have arinc

Last edited:
Erik - if you wire one of the Mini-X RS-232 outputs to the Vizion 385 RS-232 input then the Mini becomes the nav source for the autopilot. By default the nav source would be the Mini's internal GPS and flight plans stored/manipulted in the Mini.

If you install a simple switch you could wire the Mini and the panel-mount GPS RS232 outputs to the switch, thus allowing it to select which device is feeding nav data to the GPS. (This is the same thing that's recommended when you get a GPS/WAAS IFR navigator and an EFIS with an Arinc 429 output - GRT recommends that you install a switch to allow the autopilot to be driven by the EFIS or directly by the IFR navigator.)

Just to confirm we are talking about wiring it to #17 primary serial input right ? What's the selected baud rate

Couple great flights on the new ap now. Thought it's great that although I don't have arinc in the mini x, it not only gets you aligned with runway but it also gets you to intersect glide slope altitude- then you can disconnect and fly the glide slope. The controls are intuitive and easy to figure out without much manual reading. I didn't change any setting from the recommended settings for rv6 and it works great ! Really glad I made the purchase and am looking forward to a long xc

New 385 pirep

Just upgraded my TT Pictorial Pilot to the 385 and could not be more impressed, steady as a rock and it's amazing to sit and watch it fly a coupled approach to mins. One press on the alt button at DH and then sit back & watch it climb at 500fpm to the missed approach point. This is with GPSS from a 430w. Kudos to Lucas for his help along the way. Another happy customer

Keith

Steady as a rock, but....

It flies the route steady as a rock on GPSS but on track, it hunts left and right like crazy, 4-5?. Is there a setting to correct this?

TIA,

Yes

Yes, the 430W is driving it and does an incredibly steady job. It's when I switch to 'track' mode that it starts gentle S-turns.

Best,

Jesse and Pierre,

Do either of you see a ? in the top left of the display where the asterisk or plus usually resides?

Don't remember

Lucas, what conditions do I have to have to see that? Engine running and GPS booted up, or just turn the unit on? Track mode maybe?

Thanks,

Gyro set mode?

Lucas, I found the "Gyro set mode" in the manual and I then called Ray Lawrence and asked if he'd done the procedure at installation and he said 'No.' Do you think that if I do this that it might solve the issue?

Best,

Lucas, I found the "Gyro set mode" in the manual and I then called Ray Lawrence and asked if he'd done the procedure at installation and he said 'No.' Do you think that if I do this that it might solve the issue?

Best,

Doubtful, but it's easy to do. So give it a shot!

Wandering

Did some flying today in my RV10 with the recently installed 385 in track mode. Stayed right on course unless upset by turbulence & then it would be 3-4 degrees off for a second but immediately corrected back on course.

Keith

Back