What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ACS Starter Relay - How to Wire?

HFS

Well Known Member
I just got the starter relay I ordered from AC Spruce - the black one with two big posts and two small posts. I expected some sort of wiring diagram - not!

Can anyone help me with what goes where, before I fry something by trial and error?

Thanks in advance for your response.

HFS

Did you look closely at the relay, see if there are any markings on the shell near each of the terminals??

If it is the one I think it is, you may find one little stud has a S and the other has an I.

Ground the S-----ignore the I

One big stud should have a B--------it will be the one closest to the little one marked S. Battery goes to it.

You can also test things out with an ohm meter.

Got a photo of the relay ----or part number--- might make it simpler to diagnose.

Maybe it is this one??

starterrelay.jpg

If so, here is the info from the Spruce site.

http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/catalog/pdf/11-03162spec.pdf

Last edited:
Actually, this is in intermittent duty solenoid. You give 12V to the S terminal to crank the starter, not ground. The master solenoid gets ground to activate.

Add an arc suppression diode across the coil to protect the start switch. The arrow on the diode should point towards positive.

Back