What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Slow Build or RV-7 Slow build?

durtracir

Everyone,

Thanks in advance for any advise and help you can offer. I am looking at a friends RV6 slow build that is not punched at the factory. He has 1 1/2 wings done along with all control surfaces and empennage. He has the fuselage kit and finish kit unopened in the boxes. His price is 12K and the workmanship is great. I have checked the fuel slosh issue and he used the right tank sealer.

My million dollar question is, should I go this route or buy a RV 7 kit from Vans? Am I missing any gotchas?

I feel it is a good deal and am about ready to pull the trigger, just want to run it past all of you experienced folks first.

Thanks,
Barry

So many factors to consider... Time to build? Resale value? Extra MTOW? Ability to do aeros 2 up?

At a wild guess, I'd say time to complete would be similar - maybe a bit less with the RV-6 as is? Extra value of an RV-7 probably countered by the good deal you're being offered.

Choice 6 or7?

Hi Barry,

Looks like you'd save about $8000 over Van's normal RV6 price maybe $10k lesss than if you bought the RV7 from scratch. First off, I bet the 7 would be at least worth that much more when finished so that part is a wash.

The 7 which is all prepunched would go together much easier and faster along with the other reasons some think it better and more modern. Such as 2' more of wingspan, ability for more horspower, larger tanks, etc.

Some will say the 6 is better flying for reasons one may argue. In this case if it were me I'd go with the seven mainly for financial reasons as I think it would hold value much better than the 6. YMMV of course.

I agree with Jerry
The big question is if you're comfortable with building a non pre punched kit. There's still lots of building left. Kits are available on VAF classifieds quite often in various stages. YMMV

Jerry and Larry are correct.

The -7 will be a LOT easier for you to build and will be worth more when done.

A standard build RV7 takes some dedication and time to complete. The RV6 will take a true commitment for sure and a LOT more time.

6 Fuselage

The standard fuselage kit for the 6 requires a jig to build. (I'm not sure, but I don't think they sell the quick built version any more.) My fuse took a lot longer to build than I expected. Takes a lot of time making sure everything is lined up right before drilling the skin. Having said that, I really like my 6A. I've heard it has the strongest wing, but don't know if that's still true.

One factor to analyze is whether you have more time or more money to work with. Slow build worked for me, because I wanted to pay for everything as I built. As anyone on this site will tell you, the big financial hit comes when you near the end of the build.

I was not so worried about resale because I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time. The newer models are definitely cooler at fly-in's though, and the 7 is supposed to be easier to repair if damaged due to standardization.

John

Last edited:
Everyone,

Thanks in advance for any advise and help you can offer. I am looking at a friends RV6 slow build that is not punched at the factory. He has 1 1/2 wings done along with all control surfaces and empennage. He has the fuselage kit and finish kit unopened in the boxes. His price is 12K and the workmanship is great. I have checked the fuel slosh issue and he used the right tank sealer.

My million dollar question is, should I go this route or buy a RV 7 kit from Vans? Am I missing any gotchas?

I feel it is a good deal and am about ready to pull the trigger, just want to run it past all of you experienced folks first.

Thanks,
Barry

You will be in good shape either way. I would downplay the time difference in the two kits because when you have the airframe nailed together you are only about 1/2 way to a flying airplane.

Firewall forward, avionics, and final finish will take about as long as riveting the airframe for either kit. The slight advantage of build time of the -7 fuse and canopy will not make a large difference in total project time. You will, however, need more in the way of jigging for the -6 fuse than for the -7.

You may have other reasons for picking one kit over the other, but build time won't be a major difference overall.

Last edited:
Barry, If this is an older non pre-punched RV6 kit for a first time builder you could have the RV7 fuselage built to canoe before you built the jig for the RV6 fuselage and had the fuselage parts even laid out. Not to say the time and cost for reordering parts that will get laid out and drilled incorrect. You can have your head in the plans on the RV6 scratching your head for 100 + hours or more just figuring things out on just the fuselage. There is a huge difference in the two kits. A non pre-punched kit is a lot of work and for this reason there are garages everywhere full of these unfinished kits. :)

You will be in good shape either way. I would downplay the time difference in the two kits because when you have the airframe nailed together you are only about 1/2 way to a flying airplane.

Firewall forward, avionics, and final finish will take about as long as riveting the airframe for either kit. The slight advantage of build time of the -7 fuse and canopy will not make a large difference in total project time. You will, however, need more in the way of jigging for the -6 fuse than for the -7.

You may have other reasons for picking one kit over the other, but build time won't be a major difference overall.

If you are interested in seeing the RV-6 fuse being assembled, here is my build log:

Building the RV-6 Fuselage

fuse-48.jpg

You have under consideration the classic 'Time vs Money' scenario. Once you have decided which is the higher priority you can move forward accordingly. Enjoy your project! :)

Last edited:
I bought a quick build project that the owner told me could be finished in 6 months. 2+ years and 1200 hrs later I'm almost ready for paint! Too many modifications because the kit wasn't exactly what I wanted. Lots of missing parts but I got a heck of a good deal? All said and done, the money I saved was probably spent on the mods. Make sure the kit is set up just the way you want it if you go that route.

This was of interest, tailwheel, 360 engine, CS, glass, I like Your RV- :)

... Too many modifications because the kit wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Converting from nosewheel to tailwheels, was it done much work on the fuselage of the first owner, what are the changes you have to do?

... Lots of missing parts

Was this something you were not aware of, should missing parts have been in the QB kit according to package list?

... the money I saved was probably spent on the mods.

"... mods." Do you think of glass panel, CS and so on that you did not intend to buy or modifications on the kit?

Thanks!!

Everyone, thanks for all of your honest advise. I think it all boils down to the time verses money, and what value will I have in the -6 after all the work is done.

I know there are various opinions here and I respect them all. I am still undecided, but I think I am leaning towards buying a -7 from Vans, 1 kit at a time. I think not having to build a jig for the fuselage and support from Vans may be the way for me. I can buy 1 kit at a time and go as budget allows.

I will let everyone know when I take the plunge!

Have a good weekend!

Barry

It might take you more time to build but your saveing a good bit and I can tell you this I've had one -6 and one -6a and it the best plane I've flown bar none and since they don't make them any more I think one day it's gonna be a very sought for item so if you want a plane that made history for a reason don't think for one minute a -6 is ever a mistake. Go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Van's still supports the 6. There are many kits still out there to be finished up. You won't have an orphan if you go that way.... so don't let that influence your difficult decision.
Jig's are extremely easy to build and you have the extra satisfaction that when you have a part on a jig, it actually looks like you are manufacturing an airplane, not simply bolting one together ;)

Make sure you read Van's letter on used kit buying.....

I don't think you can go wrong either way....

This was of interest, tailwheel, 360 engine, CS, glass, I like Your RV- :)

Converting from nosewheel to tailwheels, was it done much work on the fuselage of the first owner, what are the changes you have to do?

Was this something you were not aware of, should missing parts have been in the QB kit according to package list?

"... mods." Do you think of glass panel, CS and so on that you did not intend to buy or modifications on the kit?

Tailwheel conversion was not that difficult but I had to buy a new engine mount. I will sell the original mount after I finish and clear out the extra parts and recoup some investment. I had planned in a glass panel and CS prop so I dont consider them mods....I probably saved about 10 k over the slow build 7 kit but next time I will order the slow build with all the options just the way I want them.

Back