What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bellcrank/pushrod

RepmikeBrown

Well Known Member
When installing my 440 pushrod tube /in the baggage compartment area, the space in which to put the
AN 3-10A bolt with washers is almost impossible to get hands into. I was wondering if it's OK to drill a 1/2" hole in the side of the F418 and insert from outside the 418 rib?

Also my pushrod is slightly rubbing the pushrod hole at the 4:00 and 8:00 positions of the hole when aileron deflection full left aft or full right aft (no wing connected yet) will the hole need to be filed for clearance and how much is allowed. It looks like 1/16" or less is all that is needed. It's Sat, and Van's is closed today but thought I would ask here and not waste a weekend waiting.
Thanks,
Mike

yes

I would say yes to both. You can always remove the pivot bolt, then hook up the pushrod, then reinstall the pivot bolt.
a small drum sander works great to provide clearance.
I like 1/8" or so clearance on all holes at max control movement.

Bob,
I was going to pull the bellcrank and then hook up the pushrod, but with the pushrod going thru the holes in the frame, the pushrod still will not come out from between the two 418 walls.

Long nose pliers!

Hi

Yes that bolt is a bit of a struggle but with patience and a pair of long nose pliers its doable without drilling holes that should not be there.

With the push rod fouling its quite normal to have to file for clearance remembering to smooth the hole to less than 400 grit so there are no stress risers.

Bob,
I was going to pull the bellcrank and then hook up the pushrod, but with the pushrod going thru the holes in the frame, the pushrod still will not come out from between the two 418 walls.

Modify the above.

Assemble the pushrod end only (the rod end bearing) onto the bellcrank out of the plane, install the assembly, and then screw the pushrod threaded end into the rod end.

Then torque the stop nut at the bellcrank end when the pushrod is finally adjusted with the entire control system.

The above leaves the pushrod inside the airframe....

Gil,
Thanks,
I noticed on the plans there is only a stop nut on the forward end and not on the aft end
Should I put one on anyway?

Gil,
Thanks,
I noticed on the plans there is only a stop nut on the forward end and not on the aft end
Should I put one on anyway?

Can't answer for the -4, but the similar 3/4 in. tube pushrod on the -6 definitely calls out for a jam nut on both ends.

I would add one at both ends.

Modify the above.

Assemble the pushrod end only (the rod end bearing) onto the bellcrank out of the plane, install the assembly, and then screw the pushrod threaded end into the rod end.

Then torque the stop nut at the bellcrank end when the pushrod is finally adjusted with the entire control system...

That is what i did. And dont forget those tinny washers on both sides of the rod end. And yes, jam nuts on both sides.

Back