What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B traffic assisted a save today

Brantel

Well Known Member
ADS-B's traffic services likely assisted in saving my life and a bunch of others today.

On the way back from KLUK to KMOR cruising straight and level at 7500ft, I noticed a target that was going to cross perpendicular to my course at about the same time and place I was. I checked the target and it was 1500ft above me so I almost dismissed it.

While looking for it to cross overhead and unable to find it with my eyes, I decided to check the target again and saw that it was descending rapidly as in he must have had a bead on my head.

Continuing my visual scan, I saw the plane just in time for me to swerve and dive a bit as it crossed behind me at about 200ft above me I could see my reflection in his chrome exhaust! It was way too close and obvious that he was descending rapidly and did not see me at all. I am guessing over 2000ft/min descent.

Had I not had both eyeballs out and the info provided by ADS-B traffic, I would not have known he was descending like that let alone crossing my course at the wrong time.

It was a large single engine turboprop of some sort. Likely a TMB or similar.

Last edited:
yep

I had a similar experience 2 weeks ago. Came head on to a corporate jet with a closing speed of 470 mph.

1. hemispheric altitudes
2. ADSB
3. Mark 1 eyeballs

Together they make a pretty good defense. Though even if you are diligent you can still end up scary-close.

Good job using the tools available and reacting quickly!

Wow! Good job Brian. Using the technology is a good thing. In this case, it may have saved you.

And thanks for ?SHOWING UP? (as Haley put it) for Jon?s memorial. Paying it forward, as we heard today, and heading those things, like we just heard from you, may save someone?s bacon someday - you never know. There are professional pilots out there that think an IFR clearance guarantees traffic separation from everyone on a clear day, like we had today, regardless of what sort of radical maneuvering they do with their aircraft. Flying defensively rewards those that use the technology to stay safe.

Glad you made it home safely.

GREAT job!!

I had a similar thing happen to me earlier this year while westbound on an IFR flight at 8,000ft just north of Ft. Walton Beach, FL. I got an ADS-B TRAFFIC alert and about 15 seconds later saw a light twin heading straight for me. I dove and it passed about 200ft directly above me. Scared the Cr@P out of my wife and I. I sternly asked the controller if he had the traffic to which a different voice replied "yes". I figure it was a trainee controller and the instructor was asleep at the wheel. I filed a NASA report just so this kind of situation is documented and recommend you do the same.

:cool:

Last edited:
I generally have a pretty good eye when finding airplanes in the air but there have been many times when my ADS-B has detected one that I never could find, even knowing where it was. It's a great device and my only concern is that I'll depend on it too much and unconsciously lessen my diligence with my eyeballs ...

I was waiting to take off at Asheville today and had eyeballs on eight different aircraft - five waiting to take off, two on approach, and one in the pattern. Not a single one had ADS-B (out) so none of them showed on my traffic screen. Y'all be careful out there.

I was waiting to take off at Asheville today and had eyeballs on eight different aircraft - five waiting to take off, two on approach, and one in the pattern. Not a single one had ADS-B (out) so none of them showed on my traffic screen. Y'all be careful out there.

Eyeballs first, augment with the technology. That has been my position all the way back to TIS-A and ZAON days. Has not changed with TIS-B, it is still what I preach to others and to myself.

The FAA has made the whole ADS-B traffic service very confusing and your experience is kinda the norm. Problem is there are likely at least a dozen different reasons why you may not have seen those planes on your traffic screen.

Last edited:
With the increased activity around MCAS Beaufort, it sure would be nice if these systems would pick up military.
Had a instance with my instructor about 2 months ago when 2 C-130s were low, in formation, about 1000 feet, and we were climbing out at 1500. I saw them and took evasive action. My instructor never saw them until he asked what that was all about. PA 28 vs a C-130 is no contest.

Not as bad as Lee and I in his Rocket several years ago, minding our own business when this shadow appears overhead crossing us. Yep, FA18 never saw us. But, Lee did some of that pilot stuff and it was cool. No DNA in the seats.

Tom

With the increased activity around MCAS Beaufort, it sure would be nice if these systems would pick up military.
Had a instance with my instructor about 2 months ago when 2 C-130s were low, in formation, about 1000 feet, and we were climbing out at 1500. I saw them and took evasive action. My instructor never saw them until he asked what that was all about. PA 28 vs a C-130 is no contest.

Not as bad as Lee and I in his Rocket several years ago, minding our own business when this shadow appears overhead crossing us. Yep, FA18 never saw us. But, Lee did some of that pilot stuff and it was cool. No DNA in the seats.

Tom

I picked up a pair of F-16's coming back from Reno...

I wouldn?t be surprised if ADSB had no statistical impact on collision avoidance. The primary concern is those who falsely believe it will provide the warning, and then rely on it. As we already know, the requirement is limited and many will not be equipped and the technology has ?holes?.
With that, let?s not forget some of the basics of collision avoidance that all of us should be doing.
Here is one article:
https://www.avweb.com/news/airman/midair_collision_math_208325-1.html

ADSB adds a valuable tool, but it is just one tool in our bag.
As Brian stated ?eyeballs first? but there is more than just that as outlined in this article. Ask yourself, do you climb, set power, and follow the magenta line of the GPS trying to see if you can pass a commercial rating with less than 50? altitude deviation? Or, do you vary course direction, altitude, and tip wings, skid, lower nose, whatever it takes to eliminate blind spots? Big sky theory?

I would also hazard a guess, most folks ?saved? by ADSB would have never seen, heard, nor been wiped out. They would have landed at destination not even knowing they had a close call. The statistics don?t support the frequency of ?saves? vs the frequency of air to air collisions prior to ADSB. Just a theory, and not intended to argue against ADSB or demean anyone?s report that they where saved by it. I will be complying and have ADSB IN.

If you really want to know.

It was a large single engine turboprop of some sort. Likely a TMB or similar.

I had a encounter (not close, just looked big) with a 737 (ORD traffic) during my phase I. Using planefinder.net history and approximate time I found the event, and identified the plane.

I am amazed at how hard it is to spot a target at 3 or 4 miles out when ADS-B in is telling me where to look even on a CAVU day.
As for military, I was flying eastbound over Jefferson City Mo, at 3500' last fall with flight following. ATC alerted me of an unknown target closing head on with me at 4 miles - Altitude unknown. I diverted right 20 degrees and a few seconds later saw I military helicopter pass under me very low. He was within class D, not talking to KJEF tower, and not squawking mode C. I guess the military play by different rules in common airspace...

I had a encounter (not close, just looked big) with a 737 (ORD traffic) during my phase I. Using planefinder.net history and approximate time I found the event, and identified the plane.

It was a Pilatus PC12.

The plane was descending at -1500ft/min till a few seconds before it crossed over me. Apparently they did see me since their descent rate slowed to -200ft/min for a few seconds then they resumed their -1500ft/min descent after they crossed over me.

Love for ADS-B

Like others, I am amazed at how may targets are out there. I've had ADS-B about 3 months now and absolutely LOVE it. Can't wait for the required date to arrive. Then, the real challenge will start....trying NOT to become so dependent on it that I fail to keep my head on a swivel. It's already starting to act somewhat like a crutch, and its a bigger effort to remind myself to constantly scan....just like we fail to be alert for NORDO aircraft. My non-towered airport has a lot of parachute and air medical operations, and I find it great for sequencing my arrivals also. Its a great tool, we just have to use it ONLY as a tool, and remember to always stay alert. Safe flying to all and nice job on the collision avoidance, Brian.

I see ADS-B targets on my ipad, but I have also used a Monroy AT300? for a lot of years now. It uses transponder signals and while it won't tell you direction it will tell you how much higher/lower they are as well as distance. It's not perfect, but it's another tool. It's helped me on many occasions and probably saved me twice. It's a portable and sits on the glareshield, but I've been thinking about putting it in the panel when I put in my new transponder. There are a lot of planes out there without ADS-B out that the Monroy will help pick up. I also see a lot of traffic that either has no transponder or it's turned off.

Jeff

Back