What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Circuits technique

simatos

Well Known Member
I did some training with Mr Seager in May and he had a diagram for speeds and RPM thru the circuit for landing. I had a copy which I put in that special place in the hangar and now of course I cannot locate it. I thought it was also on the VAF site. Anyone know how I can get my hands on a copy?
Thanks G

I just aquired my RV7 so this a great thread, I see the diagram is for fixed pitch. Do the numbers apply for CS also? I know that?s a rookie question...

With Mike's CS approach the only thing that changes is that abeam the threshold on the downwind leg and onwards for the rest of the flight you start setting your power using RPM instead of MP. Abearm this should be set to 1800-2000RPM, on base 1800RPM and final 1800RPM. The speeds stay the same (i.e. from abeam onwards maintain 85MPH). I must point out that these are Mike's numbers and that other pilots on this forum often choose to maintain slightly higher speeds on downwind and base, and many fly a curved base leg to avoid the 90 degrees base and final turns. Others choose to fly on AoA instead of speeds. Heaps of reading available on the forum regarding these topics. Most important thing is be safe, and if in doubt, get yourself some transition training. It's amazingly inexpensive (compared to the other costs with your build) and you will learn a bunch.
Good luck.
Tom.

Back