What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starting Problems - Second Owner

n518jh

My 2012 RV0-12 has 380 hours, half from builder, half from me. Recently the plane has become increasingly difficult to start, and now- it won't start. After several tries, after checking one of the carbs for fuel in the bowl, I purchased some starting fluid to see whether the issue is linked to the carbs. spraying a good deal of starting into each carb air filter, when I turned the engine over with full battery power, not a hint of starting. My next step is to pull a spark plug lead and take an new plug, hook it to the lead, hold it on the engine and have someone turn the engine over to look for a spark. Does anyone have better, more experienced opinions on what the sequence should be to track down the problem? The builder is long gone. Mark

Troubleshooting this engine does not include either starting fluid nor abusing the ignition components.

Please acquire skilled mechanical help familiar with the 91x family. Missing the real problem has already happened.

Hi Mark,

You are on the right track. See if there is spark at the plugs. If not, look at the ignition modules. If spark is present, look back at the carbs again to see if the floats are sunk in the bowls and the engine is flooding as a result of that. I would bet my money on that being the cause.

Alex

Have you experienced ?kickback? when trying to start? Issue could be with a clutch that aids in starting the engine. I apologize for not being specific but I can?t recall the correct nomenclature at the moment.

Hard Start

Never use starting fluid the engine could be internally damaged without showing any signs after starting only to have them show up later say, in flight. Just a whiff could be enough we used it to start some diesel engines but very little even with them.
I agree you need to find a mechanic before proceeding further and watch how he trouble shoots a no start. Also in the long run that prevents another problem I have seen happen, keep replacing parts until it works.
Good luck and there is a lot to learn about and a steep learning curve too. I one time in damp cold weather had an AC, C180, kick a few times then nothing, cause? Damp air, cold weather, spark plugs frosted over had to take the top ones out and warm them up. Seattle weather in the winter cold.

Last edited:
Before getting excited make sure that you have a good/fully charged battery for adequate cranking speed. A weak battery with a low crank speed may not start a Rotax.

The only one I experienced hard starting (and I mean almost no starting) was when a west coast ROTAX shop swapped my choke units during carburetor overhaul. Since you didn?t mention any recent carburetor work maybe you have a failed choke or both failed.

Recommend a search for "hard start" in this (RV-12) forum.

Also, search the Rotax forums.
Join "FlyRotax" if you haven't already

And are you located at Glendale ? More than happy to take a look for you, we can run through the initial engine linkages and carb setup and return everything back to manual spec to start with.

I will look to ignition modules. I had thi problem in other plane with Rotax 912 and is a recurrent problem of this model. I can start heating them before with a hair dryer. Afther that, they work fine, it was only the first start of the day. Finally I change one of them as is a very expensive spare, and I will change the other in a short time.

I will look to ignition modules. I had thi problem in other plane with Rotax 912 and is a recurrent problem of this model. I can start heating them before with a hair dryer.

I would be surprised if it was the ignition modules, since you have 2 and it should start on either.

What is your starting technique? The choke in these engines only works when the throttle is fully closed (it's not really a choke, it's a separate carburetor circuit), so make sure the idle isn't set too high and you have the throttle completely closed for cold starts.

Starting problem, some success

I'm the one with the no-start ignition problem. Interesting process. Had an A/P come over and see 'what's up?', top cowling off, test starting, no good. He taps the soft start module and the engine starts strong. We eliminate the aftermarket soft start module, and engine starts strong. I have arranged (through this thread) to purchase another Soft Start Module, later serial number, new, unused so as soon as it arrives, I will install that module and see if I am back to where I was before the Module I had went bad.

I checked with CPS about the price of new modules with integrated soft start and they want about $1100 including tax and shipping each. His comment was it was recommended to purchase a pair rather than start on one module. Anyone have any comment on one mag, two mag starts? Mark

I am located at KGEU in the hangers, my cell phone is 480-249-6543, and I would like to meet another RV-12 owner. It's sort of lonely with Rotax issues that certified engine mechanics marvel at.

I'm the one with the no-start ignition problem. Interesting process. Had an A/P come over and see 'what's up?', top cowling off, test starting, no good. He taps the soft start module and the engine starts strong. We eliminate the aftermarket soft start module, and engine starts strong. I have arranged (through this thread) to purchase another Soft Start Module, later serial number, new, unused so as soon as it arrives, I will install that module and see if I am back to where I was before the Module I had went bad.

I checked with CPS about the price of new modules with integrated soft start and they want about $1100 including tax and shipping each. His comment was it was recommended to purchase a pair rather than start on one module. Anyone have any comment on one mag, two mag starts? Mark

With the aftermarket softstart module you should be starting with only Ign a switched on (assuming that is the one the soft start is installed on, so I guess you could the same with the new version Ign module, but it would't make sense to spend $1100 when you are able to buy the aftermarket module for much less.

Back