What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best practice not to route EGT CHT plug wires together?

The EGT and CHT wires together will be fine but I would not run them next to (or even near to) spark plug wires. I had a problem with jumpy EGT readings at first and fixed it by getting farther away from a plug wire.

With good-quality filtered differential signal conditioning for the thermocouples it probably won't be a problem, but best practice is to minimize routing them parallel to the plug wires.

You can bundle engine sense wires together. Probably not a good idea to route these wires with higher power items, like main bus feed, master or start wires, or any large wires that carry a lot of current. I have only two firewall penetrations in my firewall that carry wires.

I had a problem with jumpy EGT readings at first and fixed it by getting farther away from a plug wire.

Thank you Tom. I was puzzled recently by a synchronous deviation of CHT and EGT proximity to a harness explains it.

I have a Dynon engine monitoring system and there was a slight fluctuation of EGT when the wires were run next to the spark plug wires.

but don't route them with the com antenna leads like I did. they spike with every broadcast.

The instructions that came with my EDM-350 stated to route them separately from the spark plug wires.

So I did.

Back