What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Countersink cutter markings

mburch

Well Known Member
Patron
I've decided to treat myself to a new set of countersink cutter bits, since the ones I've been using for years are certainly not as sharp as they once were. Currently I have a collection of three-flute and single-flute examples that I've acquired over a couple decades from various sources.

In inspecting the ones I've got, I noticed that most of them are marked with printed-on lettering. Over time, the printing on many of my cutters has faded or been worn away, making it tough to figure out what size you're holding (without reaching for the calipers, anyway). Example picture of this type of marking:

CC030%20copy.jpg

However, I also have a few cutters that have stamped markings, which are still just as easy to read as when they were brand new. They look like this and are marked similarly:

countersink3_final.png

As part of the process of building my new workshop, I'm trying to replace old worn-out tools with better examples, and to eliminate tools that aggravate me when I use them. I personally prefer the type of countersink cutter with stamped markings, so my intention is to buy only this variety from now on.

The three-flute cutters with stamped markings in my toolbox are all marked "AT445E", which I've determined are manufactured by ATI tools - available online here. I'm not sure which aircraft tool supplier I bought these from, but since the ATI brand also appears to be resold by Snap-On under their own label, I assume they are of decent quality. These may also be available from one of the familiar aircraft tool suppliers, I just can't tell from any of their websites.

My old single-flute cutters all seem to have stamped markings for size, but no other markings to indicate the manufacturer. I also can't remember where I bought them, and I can't determine the type of markings on the single-flute cutters offered from any of the aircraft tool suppliers' websites.

Anybody out there have a set of single-flute countersink cutters with stamped markings, and remember where you got them?

thanks,
- Matt

ID your tools

I like a splash of color to identify tools quickly.

Red for the AN3 wrench , Blue for AN4 wrench...same for the sockets.

electrical tape, paint, nail polish all can be used

Makes things really easy and quick to grab the right one.

I also just bought a second countersink cage and keep one for "40" holes and one for "30" holes....again makes things really easy and fast.

Adding some of these little things to your build really speeds things up

k

Yes, I do many of the same things.

As for the actual question I asked, still hoping somebody can provide an answer...

I know for sure my very first order was to cleveland tools - and they had the engraved countersinks. Subsequent orders to various vendors have all had the printed - i completely feel your pain - the engraved much easier to identify!

I just went to cleveland - and at least on their web pictures - some are printed, some are engraved - maybe they get different lots?

Might drop an email to the different outfits - cleveland, brown, isham, see what they currently have in stock.

Phil B
RV-10 awaiting inspection
Salt Lake City

I recently got some single flute ones from Cleaveland and they were printed not stamped.

Thanks Phil & Brian. I confirmed via email with Cleaveland that all their countersink cutters are marked with printing, not stamping.

Meanwhile, I've been told by Aircraft Tool Supply that all their countersink cutters have stamped markings, so I will likely give them a try when I have a chance to sit down and order.

And for posterity, here's an illustration of what I'm looking for:

20180924_countersink_markings.jpg

Back