What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vaccum Pump Adapter/Gear IO540 to O360

RONSIM

Well Known Member
I have the vacuum pump adapter/gear from an IO540C4B5 that I would like to install on a friend's O360A1A so he can install the B&C standby alternator on his -7A------ is this the same part?

Thanks for the help,

Ron

I have the vacuum pump adapter/gear from an IO540C4B5 that I would like to install on a friend's O360A1A so he can install the B&C standby alternator on his -7A------ is this the same part?

Thanks for the help,

Ron

No - I had this problem when I was building my engine - your adapter will be about 1/8" too long for the B&C alternator. It apparently doesn't matter on the vacuum pump that would go on there, and sometimes you'll find those adapters mixed on engines for that reason, but it does matter for the B&C alternator. I had to get mine changed when I found out I had the 540 adapter on my 360.

See this, and next several pages for solution - http://websites.expercraft.com/airguy/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=70677

Last edited:
Sure enough, won't fit!

Based on Airguy's post (thank you), I tried the new alternator (40Amp B&C) against the IO540 adapter/gear --- bottoms out with about a 1/4" gap.

Jesse ----Thank you, I will contact you about the swap.

Ron

Back