What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot/Static/AoA Line Routing

JRichichi

Well Known Member
Hello,

I'm getting close to routing my Pitot/Static/AoA lines on my RV-7 (slider). I've looked around on the web and on VAF and I can't seem to find any good pix of how others have done this so I thought I'd consult the folks here on VAF since there are a ton of great ideas out there.

I'm looking for how to route the plastic lines (SafeAir1) in the fuselage. I've got the lines in the LH wing figured out. That's pretty straight forward. However, exactly the best place to route the lines in the fuselage (no water trapping low points, minimal bends/connections, hidden from view, no holes thru major structural components) seems to be a mystery for me.

I'm using the new (no ice issues) Dynon regulated heat pitot tube with the pitot and AoA lines coming in from the LH wing. I plan to have the AFS ADAHRS mounted in the aft of the fuselage (most likely between the F-786A-L/-R Top Fuselage J Stiffeners and the F-787 Stiffener Web on a custom mount). I plan to keep the ADAHRS well aft of the slider canopy when it's open so not to have any issues with it messing up the magnetometer in the ADAHRS (this is so I don't get squirrelly heading readings when I'm taxiing). I've got a TruTrak Vizion 385 autopilot and Dynon D10A located on the left hand side of the instrument panel so it makes sense to have the lines on the left hand side of the fuselage (that's also where the pitot/AoA lines come in too). The airspeed switch will probably end up being mounted on the LH fuselage sidewall on a custom mount (behind the Baggage Bulkheads). I have a simple ball valve (http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Pneumatic_Components/Special_Purpose_Push-to-Connect_Pneumatic_Fittings/Hand_Valves/HVU14) that I plan to use as a combination Alternate Static Port / Calibration Port located on the left hand side of the cabin within easy reach. This way I don't have to "break" into the system when doing static system calibrations and have an alternate static source.

Below is a schematic of the line routing. Comments are welcome.

Any nice pix of how you guys have routed these lines would be appreciated. The reasons for why you ran the lines the way you did would be helpful too.

RV-7%20Plumbing%20--%20Pitot-Static-AoA_zps7use9kty.jpg

Thanks!

Jeff

Last edited:
I'm not to this point yet, but I've subscribed to the thread and saved a copy of your diagram.

I have to say, your name gave me pause.

Jeff Rich (minus the -ichi):D

My safeair static line runs down the left fuselage just under the longeron that runs the full length of the aircraft. Holes through the bulkheads with plastic bushings.

You may consider another T fiittng and a vertical drop tube to act as a water trap that can be emptied at annual. I put mine in the baggage area near the bulkhead that supports the seatbacks.

Bevan

Here is a photo of my AD-AHRS and routing in the fuselage. Haven't yet determined how to get it to the wing but will probably route it under the right side arm rest.

EDIT: Changed my mind last weekend and decided to route the lines from the baggage compartment, through the support that attaches to the seat support and down through the floor. From there it goes fwd and out to the right wing (or left if you want).

xXSQd4Y.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone posting their solutions. It's given me much to think about and some great ideas.

Thanks again!

Jeff

One more thing . . .

That SAE brake line is pretty stiff and it's natural bend radius is large or under tension. I have been taking the tube and heating it with a heat gun, then bending in a 2-3" radius and letting it cool. I tested a piece a couple of yrs ago to see if it would return, and it did not. It will make the pretty springy tubing more tame in your busy areas.

I really like your diagram!!

Here is my routing -

starting from the wing. I have the Dynon heated pitot tube and the ADAHRS in the back of the aircraft. My goals were supporting the lines and maintenance. In the first photo you can see a small bracket to ensure clearance from the bell crank.

Avionics20015_zpsrq7mb9wn.jpg

Here is my solution for getting into the fuselage and running aft toward the ADAHRS. Those are bulkhead connection points.

Pitot2002_zpssbljqh5q.jpg

As for running under the pilot seat and the baggage compartment, I drilled holes for snap bushings. Aft of the pilot seat is the rear spar carry through. You have to be very, very careful to not drill into or nick the carry through. There is room above it on the same line as the two snap bushings in the tunnel. Next you might want / have to change those lines. You can have nutplates holding your floor in place or build an access panel. I choose the later. If I could do it again I would go with nutplates. The lines do not lie on the floor or touch any of the ribs under the seats or baggage floor.

Pitot2003_zpsjurgzgps.jpg

Out from under the baggage floor aft of the baggage bulkhead and up to the ADAHRS shelf. There is a small angle riveted to the J channel supporting the two Adel clamps.

Pitot%2005_zpsuvxkh60l.jpg

Pitot%2006_zpse1gx3h0q.jpg

I am sure there are better solutions out there. I am not running anything forward as the glass solution does not require it (vendor dependent.) Good luck with your build.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of my AD-AHRS and routing in the fuselage. Haven't yet determined how to get it to the wing but will probably route it under the right side arm rest.

Sorry for the size of the image. Trying to figure out how to shrink it down a bit...

Ext01lw_sm.jpg

Holy side scrolling browser Batman! :)

You can replace your image with the one I scaled in the quote above to make this page easier to read for everyone.

Also, I'd use a different method than those self-sticking zip tie pads to secure the tubing. They can detach with age. I like to use Click Bond zip tie pads.

Thanks,
Russ

Last edited:
Holy side scrolling browser Batman! :)

You can replace your image with the one I scaled in the quote above to make this page easier to read for everyone.

Also, I'd use a different method than those self-sticking zip tie pads to secure the tubing. They can detach with age. I like to use Click Bond zip tie pads.

Thanks,
Russ

Thanks, Russ, for the smaller image. Fixed!

I had the same concern about the self-sticking zip tie pads so I added clear RTV around them to ensure they stay where I could not put a pull-rivet in the middle to secure them. I'll check out the click bond pads, though, for future.

Back