What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aux power plug

Plummit

Well Known Member
I need to add a couple of aux power plugs to my -10 and I'm looking for suggestions. Basically I need a cig lighter plug in the front and the luggage area. The rear one should be relatively easy as the battery is right behind the bulkhead. Anyone have a preference as to the make and model of the plugs, and suggestions on mounting?

thanks

~Marc

I need to add a couple of aux power plugs to my -10 and I'm looking for suggestions. Basically I need a cig lighter plug in the front and the luggage area. The rear one should be relatively easy as the battery is right behind the bulkhead. Anyone have a preference as to the make and model of the plugs, and suggestions on mounting?

thanks

~Marc

I like these from SteinAir.

SA-9901_L.jpg

If I remember correctly, I used a 7/8" chassis punch to make a round hole that it mounted in.

Last edited:
Anyone have a preference as to the make and model of the plugs, and suggestions on mounting?

thanks

~Marc

I used the same style outlets that Gary linked above, got one mounted on each side of the rear seat-------bent up some cardboard until I got the size/shape right, and then made metal units from some scrap. There is also an outlet for power to my ANR headsets.

P4150031.jpg

P4150032.jpg

P4150035.jpg

I installed a fuse block under the flap torque tube cover, fed power to the outlets form there.

P5110057.jpg

Last edited:
Audi Part Number 4B0925071A

If you're looking for something a bit nicer, find Audi Part Number 4B0925071A. You can usually get them on eBay for $25-$30. They look nice, and have a push to open / push closed hinge that has a damper in it for that nice look and feel.

You can hot bus the rear one with like 14 or 12ga and a 10 amp or so breaker. Then you can just reach in the bag door and plug in a moderate battery charger if you make a plug cable. If you do, make sure you use a real lighter plug like Mike and Gary showed. If it can handle an actual lighter, it can handle a pretty good battery charger.

This Kitlog entry shows how I arranged my aux power outlets and headset jacks using a center console. There's another aux power outlet in the panel. I like stuff in the center so people can enter/exit the aircraft without tangling in cords. If you're not using a center console, it would still be pretty easy to make a riser similar to what Mike did but in the center. The outlets I got from Aerotronics look like the same as the second post in this thread.

I went to West Marine yesterday and looked at their stainless cig lighter plugs. Needless to say, I was not impressed with the quality. They didn't even have the current rating on the package or unit! For the $17+ they were charging, I expected a bit more. I ended up with an "Aviation Zone" unit for now, but I may upgrade later.

~Marc

Back