What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN650 Activate Missed Approach

jwilbur

Well Known Member
On the GTN 650 as you approach the MAP, there is a pop-up on the display giving you the option to activate the missed approach. Does anyone know how to do this before reaching the MAP? For example, let's say I lose the ILS really early in the approach and want to execute a missed approach right then.

I've been playing with the GTN simulator for quite a while and I've gone through the manual and can't find any way to do it. ... That said, if you go on the Flight plan page, click on the active approach, there appears to be an option to "activate missed" but the simulator does not seem to do anything when hitting this.

Anyone know how to do this?

Missed Approach

The missed can be activated prior to reaching the MAP, but Nav guidance will continue to the MAP before the missed approach waypoints are sequenced.

Do you have the installation manual? Looking at page E-52 of Rev 11, it shows the Optional Switch Interconnect. And one of the pins is REMOTE GO AROUND.

This is not a specific pin but one of several that can be configured via a configuration page setup described in Section 5.

I have installed two switches in my configuration: one for CDI Source Select and one for Go Around.

The missed can be activated prior to reaching the MAP, but Nav guidance will continue to the MAP before the missed approach waypoints are sequenced.

Ahhh. OK. That explains what's happening in the simulator. Thank you.

So on a VOR approach where the Missed takes you back to the VOR, if I decide to go missed and turn around before reaching the MAP, I suppose I would have to hit the direct-to button, then flight-plan, then the VOR entry associated with the missed. This should accomplish what I was expecting when I hit clicked the "activate missed" button.

Last edited:
Do you have the installation manual? Looking at page E-52 of Rev 11, it shows the Optional Switch Interconnect. And one of the pins is REMOTE GO AROUND.

This is not a specific pin but one of several that can be configured via a configuration page setup described in Section 5.

I have installed two switches in my configuration: one for CDI Source Select and one for Go Around.

I did not install any of the optional switches. Maybe I will in the future if this becomes an issue.

No

if I decide to go missed and turn around before reaching the MAP, .

No, do not do that. There are some approaches that, say, take you close to a mountain to your right. But later, as you get close to the missed approach point, you are past the mountain and can safely execute a right turn as may be called for in the missed approach procedure. Always fly the approach as published to the MAP, then fly the miss. Only exception is that you may start to climb early. But do not turn early.

Joe you ask a good question.

Options would be:

a) disconnect the AP with the CWS button, terminate descent, maintain heading until passing the MAP then execute the missed. This would keep the plane in the obstacle clearance corridor provided, and ATC would see an orderly flight pattern. This is assuming the ILS went TU due to a ground issue, not an aircraft issue.

b) Disconnect "APPR". activate ROL PIT mode, then activate AP HDG and ALT mode for following either ATC vectors or the approach path followed by MAP.

What happens if you want to hit the TOGA before reaching the MAP (APPR is engaged), and assume the airport dropped below minimums, or was closed for something. - I don't know.

Last edited:
Like Bob mentioned and I will second:

Flying the missed early before the MAP can get you killed..... The only safe thing to do before the MAP is to climb.

Like Bob mentioned and I will second:

Flying the missed early before the MAP can get you killed..... The only safe thing to do before the MAP is to climb.

I'm still an Instrument Trainee. ... I had not thought of this. Explains why the GTN works the way it does. Thank you for the guidance, and glad I asked.

Ahhh. OK. That explains what's happening in the simulator. Thank you.

So on a VOR approach where the Missed takes you back to the VOR, if I decide to go missed and turn around before reaching the MAP, I suppose I would have to hit the direct-to button, then flight-plan, then the VOR entry associated with the missed. This should accomplish what I was expecting when I hit clicked the "activate missed" button.

Don't think ATC would appreciate that. They don't expect you to navigate off the course until the MAP. You would have to ask for that as there could be traffic conflicts.

Larry

Back