What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing lighting/AOA/Autopilot - when needed

jamcgee1978

Afternoon guys,

So were just finishing off the top wing skins about to start the leading edges. I read ahead tonight in the manual to see it mention AoA indicator / AP servos /lighting, Ive planned to go with Dynon AoA stall warner and the lighting is still in debate, but why question: is this needed to be installed now as the wing progresses as im assuming there is no access issues with the bottom skins left. I didnt want to purchase this years latest only for it to be upgraded in a few years when the -10 nears completion.

Your thoughts and advice much appreciated,

James

I went with the QB wings on my RV-10, and haven't had any issues with adding the hardware you have listed.

One item that might be worth considering though is the type of landing/taxi lights you intend to use. If you decide you want a landing/taxi light in the leading edge, I suspect it might be easier to make those cuts before the leading edge is attached. I have gone with the AeroSun VX landing/taxi lights from AeroLEDs which fit into the wing tips. I'm not flying yet, so can't comment on how I like them, but saw lots of positive comments when I bought them. With these, you don't have to cut the leading edge, but you do have to cut out a large section at the leading edge of the wing tips and fiberglass in a modified leading edge that provides the additional space needed for these large lights.

I installed the pitot mast when I was ready to install the bottom skin. I also installed the autopilot servo mount before closing the bottom skin, but didn't buy the servo until later. The servo mount could have been added after the bottom skin was closed up, but a bit easier to do it before.

If you are going to use an AOA driven from the pitot, then you may decide you don't want to install the stall warning microswitch in the leading edge. There are a couple of pre-punched holes in each leading edge for the stall warning flag, which if you don't install you will want to close these holes with a flush rivet. Be sure to close these before you install the tanks, or you will have to remove the tanks just to drive a couple of rivets.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
James,

On our RV-7 that I bought as a project - the lower wing skins were already installed. We installed a Garmin heated pitot/AOA, Garmin aileron servo, AeroLED's in the tips, Duckworks HID in one leading edge, Duckworks blank kit in the other for a VIRB/GoPro - all with the skins installed. It wasn't the easiest job, but doable.

On the RV-10 we are building now, we are trying to install provisions for all of the equipment before completing the wings. Basically the same equipment we installed on the 7, with the addition of power for HW extended fuel tanks (doubt if we will ever install them, but easier to run the wire now). It has been much easier with the lower skins off.

Some folks install conduit with strings. I'm not a fan, but it's a choice.

Had hoped to make it to Prestwick/Symington this summer and would help you buck a few rivets, but doesn't look like it will work out. Maybe next year.

Thanks for the replies guys i understand the leading edge cut is easier whilst off so ill go ahead and start to think about lighting and leave the bottom skin off until ready to install the AoA & A/P equipment.

Just looking at the Aerosun VX kit that seems much better than cutting into my leading edges with the dremel!

Katanapilot more than welcome to visit the shop in symington! Anytime

Leading edge landing light would be the only thing to really think about as long as you have the bottom skin off. You may want to look into the install instructions for the leading edge lights, not sure if you can acurately make the cut without the proper bend from it being installed. I didn't use them.

Everything else can be done with the bottom skins off. Wire runs (I used conduit and like it), coax cable for wingtip antenna and/or magnetometer in the wingtip, pitot/aoa mount and heat controller, aileron trim, roll AP servo, OAT probes, ETC. should be thought about but doesn't have to be installed quite yet. I didn't use stall warning since I have AoA.

Back