VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-23-2008, 06:43 PM

Hey Kahuna,

I finally got my iGate up and running today. I'm just North of you near where GA meets TN and NC (KJ4ILJ). There is a HUGE service gap in the North Ga mountains and now, hopefully I can help fill the gap.
EAA Technical Counselor #5429
APRS Tracking
http://www.FlightInnovations.com
Old 12-23-2008, 07:28 PM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithhb View Post
Hey Kahuna,

I finally got my iGate up and running today. I'm just North of you near where GA meets TN and NC (KJ4ILJ). There is a HUGE service gap in the North Ga mountains and now, hopefully I can help fill the gap.
Bret,

Your iGate should be a great addition to the APRS net. You are in an excellent location for an iGate and will add valuable coverage for those flying over some tough terrain.

Glad you stuck out the sometimes maddening process of getting the software configured. Some of it definitely is not user friendly.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Whelen LED Light Man

What is the system/OS/Software you are using Bret? If you can post any links you might have used to get her up and running it might help others.
Also I see your off the net this morning.
KJ4GPT ~60 miles south of you.

Best,
Old 12-24-2008, 09:34 AM

I followed the links posted by Sam and d'loaded the IU-View32 and AGWPE. I'm installed on a WinXP box and soundcard. I bought a cable to run from my RadioShack handheld scanner as well as an outdoor scanner antenna.

Sam is to be commended since he did all the research work and the links he specified are really all you need. Since I already owned the scanner, all I have invested is $35.00 for the outdoor antenna, $10 for the cable from the antenna to the scanner and $4.00 for the patch cable from the scanner to the soundcard (Line In).

Still tinkerin' when I should be in the shop trimming my baffles.
EAA Technical Counselor #5429
APRS Tracking
http://www.FlightInnovations.com
Old 12-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Whelen LED Light Man

Bret you mentioned in an email "I'm connected to the aprsfl.aprs2.net server. I can hear the pings on the scanner (144.390mH) but don't see any iGate traffic."

Using the AGW sound card tuning aid (right click on the icon in th tool bar), you should see something like this showing that the packet is being heard by the packet engine. Are you seeing this?
Old 03-17-2010, 04:27 PM

Default Got my iGate up and running today...

I was really surprised at how trouble free the iGate setup went. Thanks to Sam and others who were kind enough to lead the way with their excellent threads. A few observations:

1. What really helped me see what was going on was to open the iGate Traffic Window in UI-View32. This is under 'Options' all the way down at the bottom. Set it up for 'Traffic gated from RF to the Internet'. Every packet that comes in is visible, decoded, and gated to the internet. BUT, not every packet that you get to the internet wins the race to the aprs.fi site! I think it depends on the the speed of the aprs server connection. I'm guessing, but I think your internet connection speed is also a factor. If you live in a relatively populated area like I do, you are competing with a lot of other digis and iGates out there.

2. Although I have limited experience with an iGate (a couple of hours now) so far, I really don't think you need a huge antenna unless you're really out in the boonies or you intend to also set up a digi. I seem to get a packet every few seconds and I think everything is working, because the Traffic Window shows the actual decoded packet (with your call sign at the end) that you gated to the internet. The issue for me has been that of 93 packets received so far, only 32 have been 'gated' by aprs.fi. I'm assuming that if I see a correctly decoded packet in the Traffic Window, this is what's going out on the internet. So I don't believe a better antenna or receiver is necessary--seems like everything coming my was is making it out to the internet. I say this because my antenna is just an MFJ 1717PL, which is a "rubber duckie fold-over" that attaches directly to the back of my mobile Yaesu FT-1900R. I'm going to try a mag mount whip up on the roof just for grins, but my feeling is that it's not going to produce any improvement.

3. My premise so far is that to improve iGate performance what you really need to focus on is finding the server combination that wins the race to aprs.fi. On the other hand, is this really important? As long as the packets are making it, do you really care if they gate through your rig? Well, yes and no. As long as I'm gating about 1/3 of the received packets, I know that the system is working and I'm pretty satisfied with that performance.

4. The connection from the radio to the sound card is not as critical as I thought it would be. I just used an MP3 adapter cable (3.5mm connectors, stereo-to-stereo) from the speaker output on the back of the Yaesu FT-1900 to the sound card, even though the speaker output is monaural. The sound card 'line in' jack calls for a stereo connector, and the stereo-to-stereo connectors worked fine.

I used the AGWPE packet engine software as many others have done. The only difficulty for me was using Vista and a sound card that did not conform to the examples in the listed threads. But you just slog your way though it and it works out in the end.

Hope this helps someone else down the line. You can see my iGate on aprs.fi by searching on my call sign, KJ4RZN.
RV-7 (Sold)
RV-8 (Helped build Bob Lund's airplane)
www.phaviation.com Trim Relay Boards/Flap Actuators
www.pathatch.com/blog (Photography)
Track Me
Old 03-17-2010, 06:42 PM

Great news Pat. Congrats!

Good to hear that it went smoothly and that should be encouragement to ALL.

I *finally* got online as well!!! YIPEEEEEE!!!! :-)

For those that plan to try this in the future, it SHOULD be as straightforward as Pat mentioned in the future. So do not despair.

One of the problems that caused problems for me (and took a LONG time to find) was that an old IP camera had latched on to Port 8000 and thus I was not able to get the Packet Engine to talk to UI-View32. If someone has such a problem, use something like "What's Running" (a process monitor) to see what processes are tied to what ports and kill of such processes.

I put this here so there is a record of it for others in the future.

Again, congrats Pat!

James ... another aviator adding to the "capacity" :-)
APRS
Old 03-17-2010, 07:38 PM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark View Post
Great news Pat. Congrats!

Good to hear that it went smoothly and that should be encouragement to ALL.

I *finally* got online as well!!! YIPEEEEEE!!!! :-)

For those that plan to try this in the future, it SHOULD be as straightforward as Pat mentioned in the future. So do not despair.

One of the problems that caused problems for me (and took a LONG time to find) was that an old IP camera had latched on to Port 8000 and thus I was not able to get the Packet Engine to talk to UI-View32. If someone has such a problem, use something like "What's Running" (a process monitor) to see what processes are tied to what ports and kill of such processes.

I put this here so there is a record of it for others in the future.

Again, congrats Pat!

James ... another aviator adding to the "capacity" :-)
Very good, James! I knew if you chewed on it long enough, you would get it figured out.

Looking at port 8000 is pretty geeky, however.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:07 PM

Default Unverified

Hello all,

I'm setting up an I-Gate using the UI-View32 software. I've successfully connected to the APRS servers, but when I connect, it says my call is unverified. The help tells me that if I am not verified then I cannot transmit to the server. I've only gotten the verification number today, does it take some time for the changes to propagate? We will be using this I-Gate to drive under a high altitude balloon, its signal is very weak and will only be received by us, so an I-Gate is necessary in this situation.

Kind Regards,
Paul
KD8NXL
Old 03-18-2010, 08:21 PM

Default APRS Server Validation Number

Paul, you should have received two numbers when you registered your UI-View32, one is a Registration Code and the other an APRS Server Validation Number. I assume you entered these numbers in the appropriate place in the setup for the software. I would go back to the UI-View registration page and your validation should still be there. I printed mine out for future reference. If all of this is correct, perhaps you just have to give the bureaucracy some time.
RV-7 (Sold)
RV-8 (Helped build Bob Lund's airplane)
www.phaviation.com Trim Relay Boards/Flap Actuators
www.pathatch.com/blog (Photography)
Track Me